Sunday, September 20, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #527

It's raining in Canberra. What that means is that I'm inside when I'd rather be out. I shouldn't complain too much however as the precipitation is very welcome. What I have discovered though is that living in a ground floor unit, I can't hear the rain unless it happens to be coming in sideways and hitting the window. Snoozing through the sound of rain on the roof is something I hadn't realised I liked until now. Here's a song that I learned many, many years ago...

Jose Feliciano - Rain - https://youtu.be/zZVhkGFYLis

This week marks fifty years since Jimi Hendrix died. Guitar players come and go but Jimi is arguably the most influential. He's certainly a product of his influences but very much an individual. Hendrix's career really only lasted four years and all this time later guitarists old and new rave about him. My introduction to Hendrix was in late 1987. At the time my guitar heroes were Angus Young and Mark Knopfler. I bought a guitar magazine, which at the time was horrendously expensive as they were imported from the USA and it was as if we had to pay for first class postage even though they were months old. Inside was an article about a new Hendrix live double album called, Live At Winterland. So I went out and bought it a little while later. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I hated it. Noisy and guitar frequently out of tune with a drummer who sounded like he was an octopus on speed. Anyway, I chalked it up to experience and didn't listen to the album more than a few times. Not long after I heard some of Jimi's studio recordings and was blown away; they were magical. And with the benefit of those listening experiences I listened differently. Sure, the last song on the album, a cover of The Trogg's classic, Wild Thing is so out of tune that it is laughable but the rest suddenly made sense. I won't say that I'm a huge Hendrix fan but at the right moment I really enjoy some of his work. I still don't like the drumming....sorry.

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' - https://youtu.be/EX5phFmbrU8

In 1992, Irish musician Luka Bloom released an album called The Acoustic Motorbike. In addition to being a stellar album, his cover of the LL Cool J rap song, I Need Love, introduced him to a wider audience, including me! Luka has released around twenty five albums now with a new one just out. The first song from Bittersweet Crimson is below and I think it happens to be one of the most beautiful and poignant songs, and videos, that I've seen in a long time.

Luka Bloom - I Need Love - https://youtu.be/hyTISoOX1C8

Luka Bloom - The Beauty of Everyday Things - https://youtu.be/oFWjeHROi5U

When I saw the name Dave Mason pop up this week I thought it was the Australian performer whose band, The Reels, are a bit of a cult classic. But no, it's the OTHER Dave Mason. The Englishman who has played with many bands including Traffic, The Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac. This song is one I was introduced to when Kate Ceberano performed it on her TV show in the 90s and I've enjoyed it ever since. In these uncertain times it's fun to see Dave and his mates performing a cracking version.

Dave Mason & The Quarantines - Feeling Alright - https://youtu.be/Xd56ap_aa4k

And for those who haven't heard of The Reels....

The Reels - Love Will Find A Way - https://youtu.be/I03-9hu95n4

In 1980, Motörhead released their seminal album, Ace of Spades. Fittingly a 40th Anniversary edition is due for release very soon. But here's the thing....there's a lot of great material included and, price notwithstanding, it's slightly disappointing that you need to buy it on vinyl to get all the tracks. The CD version doesn't have them all. Hmmm....I realise that records have outsold CDs in some countries in 2019 for the first time in years but seriously, why not release all the tracks on both? Will I buy it? Probably not. I've got the original album and a ton of other Motörhead stuff AND I was fortunate enough to see them play live. Still, it's a great album without a doubt.

Motörhead - Ace of Spades (from The Young Ones) - https://youtu.be/DwImGZJ3IWg

Motörhead - We Are The Roadcrew (live Hammersmith 1981) - https://youtu.be/_jW-IxfbW-E

In 1993 I graduated from university and got my degree in the auditorium at the Australian Defence Force Academy. Tomorrow I'll be in that building again for the first time since that day. There's a certain level of irony as I'll be standing in front of third year Officer Cadets and Midshipmen and talking about mental health. It's a funny old world.

The Clash - Career Opportunities - https://youtu.be/MsE5NAAU39k

Australian rockers Kingswood have a new album out called Juveniles. You may have heard them covering Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way for a TV advertisement for cars. Don't be fooled into thinking that Kingswood sold out there. As they said themselves, the opportunity presented itself and they took it. Undoubtedly it raised their profile and increased their bank balance which, as any musician will tell you, is great! The latest album is a good listen. It's a bit rock, a bit mellow and sometimes sounds like early Powderfinger (before they sucked). Give it a spin and support Australian music.

Kingswood - Bittersweet - https://youtu.be/rIawsqt5YZU

Finally, this week Lee Kerslake passed away. Lee was the drummer in many bands including Uriah Heep and the original version of Ozzy Osbourne's band. Despite a very long and acrimonious relationship with the Osbournes (at one stage Ozzy had his drums as well as the bass re-recorded and re-released years later on the first two albums) Ozzy got it right at the end. One of Lee's final wishes was to receive his platinum albums for Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. Ozzy sent him the ones that he'd been given by the record company years ago. Sharon is probably still fuming.

Uriah Heep - Gypsy (live) - https://youtu.be/LdpL9USjdnA

Living Loud - Last Chance (live) - https://youtu.be/KjkQhkCmV-c

Don't look now but the rain has stopped....goodbye and have a great week.

Rob

"I've been uptight and made a mess
But I'll clean it up myself, I guess...", Handle With Care, The Traveling Wilburys, 1988.

No comments:

Post a Comment