Friday, April 12, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #479

Firstly, if you're the person that managed to post on my blog, as me, sharing a Beatles track then please let me know. It's not cool to do that and the post has been deleted. I'm happy for people to post in the comments but not to have the post list me as the author. I've since reviewed my security settings.

On to the music now.

Album 25/100 - The Stone Roses (1989)
Never having paid much attention to the band other than their big hit "Fools Gold" I took some time with this supposedly iconic long player. It's easy to see how bands like Oasis and Blur were influenced by it (among others) but I must admit that I found it rather uninspiring myself. I can't quite put my finger on a decent reason for this reaction. Maybe it's a time and place album; you had to be there. Or maybe it's just overrated and a bit dull in retrospect. I'm sure plenty of people out there will disagree. 

The Stone Roses - Made of Stone - https://youtu.be/sMnm8MsPDeM

Album 26/100 - Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)
This one is an absolute pearler. Pearl Jam's debut record is more rock than grunge despite what lots of people would like to have you believe. Eddie Vedder's vocals are instantly recognisable and haven't really changed much to this day. His voice moves easily from the edge of breaking up to the warm, mellow tone we all know. Listening back to the album in its entirety after all these years I was struck by how Jim Morrison-eque Vedder sometimes sounds. Musically, this is a band absolutely on fire. Loud, quiet and everything in between; they did it all on this record and went on to become one of the biggest bands in the world. Is this essential listening? No, but it's damned close.

Pearl Jam - Even Flow - https://youtu.be/CxKWTzr-k6s

I'm a big fan of Sammy Hagar. I loved his vocals in Van Halen and his subsequent output is usually a lot of fun. And whilst this next video, recorded very recently, showcases his whole band, I want you to pay attention to Jason Bonham on drums (yeah, he's John Bonham's son). He's playing the whole song on a Roland SPD-SX drum pad and that's super-cool in my opinion. Great song, great musicians and great fun. Sammy Hagar is 71...and still rocking out.

Sammy Hagar & The Circle - Finish What Ya Started (live) - https://youtu.be/qwZUrVyTPJ8?t=83

I've played you music from Greta Van Fleet before and I was very much undecided about them. Led Zeppelin ripoffs or the real deal? While no-one can discount their very obvious Led Zep and classic rock influences this live video made my mind up. They are the real deal. Young guys who love rock and roll putting on a good show whilst wearing their influences on their sleeves. Rock on!

Greta Van Fleet - Safari Song (live) - https://youtu.be/PJXizasWnIo

In the battle for the best band name, this next group (from Canberra) must be near the top. I stumbled across them this week when I saw they were supporting another group I am keeping an eye on (Press Club) and just had to check out their stuff. The name is a classic, and the music is pretty good as well. Indie, punky rock and roll.

Teen Jesus & The Jean Teasers - Crime Scene - https://youtu.be/HU_ZEHREX50

After listening to Italian retro glam rockers I went back in time and enjoyed a whole swag of tracks from one of their major influences; Slade. I remember this one very well from my high school years and it's still a great track...

Slade - Run Run Away - https://youtu.be/VTj3dh78Zlo

Last week DJ HighPantsToddo and I embarked on an epic bike ride. In the end we clocked up 189km which, for both of us, was our longest ride ever. I was very glad to see the cafe at halfway as well as the finish line at my house. In what may be even more insane we're off for 200km next Friday. Shut up legs indeed!

Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home - https://youtu.be/vFHYzI-Gtbo

Finally, I'm very excited, even more excited than Big Kev. Why? Well, Zoe will be home in a few days for a short stay. And then not long after, our intrepid explorer returns from Canada! Woo hoo!

Kacey Musgraves - Family is Family - https://youtu.be/UhWi2ukHT8Q

Have a great weekend everyone and safe travels H,
Rob

"And you can shake your fist at the T.V. set
And you can slam your hand in the table
And you can cry and curse
Through tightlocked teeth
Just as hard as you are able
But you can't run away from trouble
'Coz there ain't no place that far
No fuel left for the pilgrims
Yeah! That's just the way we are...", Jihad, D*A*D, 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment