Friday, March 29, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #478

I imagine that being a "real" music writer might mean that you could get quite bored with constantly listening to new stuff. There are times when you just want to put on one of your favourite LPs and let it seep into your bones and your soul. Luckily, I'm just a hack on the internet with the option to do what I want. So I did. After last week's episode went to air I chose my two new albums to review for this piece and started in on them. Arrrggghhh! I couldn't get into either of them. And then I took a step back and left them alone for a few days. The results? Well you'll find out shortly.

But first, finally "The Dirt" was released to Australian Netflix audiences. We had to wait for the USA to catch up; time zones and all that jazz. Well, the short version is that if you are a Motley Crue fan you should really enjoy the movie. If you've never heard of them apart from "Kickstart My Heart" then you may be shocked, after watching the film, that they are all still alive. And for those easily offended by nudity, bad language, drug and alcohol abuse, violence, heavy metal and almost anything else...you should avoid "The Dirt" at all costs. The film holds nothing back and the crazy lifestyle that the band lived through isn't sanitised at all. Sure, there is a bit of artistic licence taken with bits of the band's timeline and guitar nerds will notice a few gear errors but all in all it's a solid effort. Critics will hate it but then critics pretty much always hated the Crue as well. I think I'll read the book now. Motley Crue will always be one of my favourite bands; despite all of their attempts to sabotage their own lives they continued to make great records.

Motley Crue - The Dirt - https://youtu.be/QfenIwtoQzk

Album 23/100 - BB King - Live At The Regal (1965)
35 minutes, 10 songs and it is AWESOME! This album not only has BB King and the audience absolutely exploding with energy, the quality of the recording given the year is top notch. I really enjoyed the fact that BB's voice is so strong and smooth here. You can hear all of the instruments very well in the mix as nothing is overpowering or buried. BB's guitar rings like the bell Chuck Berry told us all about. The final track, "Help The Poor" is a highlight and one that I knew from a rather cool Robben Ford cassette. I think I'll keep an eye out for a vinyl copy of this record; it's one that I can see myself going back to on a regular basis.

BB King - Everyday I Have The Blues (live at The Regal) - https://youtu.be/0RfAHm-HRqE

Album 24/100 - Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (1994)
This is one of the best band names ever and as a result, I remember listening to one of their albums years ago and being disappointed that it bored me. So it was with a certain degree of trepidation that I cued up "The Holy Bible". Well, well, well...it's rather good. On first listen it's a harder edged indie-Brit-rock album and that bodes well. On subsequent listens I found the insistent nature of many tracks enticing and enjoyable. What happens though when you look at the lyrics and have a bit of a think about them is challenging. This is not a pop album. It reeks of abuse, depression, anxiety and self loathing. Sadly, about six months after the LP's release, lyricist and rhythm guitarist Richey disappeared and is presumed to have died by suicide. That puts another dimension on the album. I wouldn't like you to think that "The Holy Bible" is all gloom and doom because it's not. It's a very tight, punchy record that is abrasive in parts and deeply personal in others. I'm not sure if it will encourage me to listen to more from Manic Street Preachers but I'll keep spinning this record.

Manic Street Preachers - Faster - https://youtu.be/rl2Jv4dzFqg

George, with some help from Matt (keys), Callum(guitar) and Tim(sound) has released another song and music video. This one is a very moving tribute to his Dad. I've had the privilege of playing this song with H but never in public. Check it out folks and let George know what you think via the band's Facebook page.

George Huitker and Junk Sculpture (feat Callum Henshaw) - These Flowers - https://vimeo.com/325800851

Speaking of George; he tells me that he needs to sit down with me and discuss what I have advised as "essential listening". That's in response to me recommending Neil Young's "Harvest" album in the last episode. Fair enough; I'm always keen to talk about music. What is essential to me? It's a song or album that, to my mind, defines an artist or says something very special. "Iconic" isn't quite what I mean as the greatest recordings by some bands aren't necessarily those thought of as iconic or seminal. Anyway, H thought that this was essential, open your ears wide and let this one sink in.

King Crimson - Starless - https://youtu.be/OfR6_V91fG8

Italian rockers, Giuda, have a new long player due for release. I really, really, really like this band as they are a lot of fun and wear their glam rock influences proudly on their sleeves. For fans of bands like Slade and The Bay City Rollers this is simply great rock and roll.

Giuda - Overdrive - https://youtu.be/DvX9T1V4QI4

That's it folks. All killer, no filler. Have a great weekend,

Rob

"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away", On The Turning Away, Pink Floyd, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment