Friday, October 18, 2013

Song of the Week #268

Woo hoo! It's Friday!! Even though I plan to collapse on the lounge
rather than going out dancing, I always get a smile from this tune.

The Darkness - Friday Night (2003) - http://youtu.be/XFYXZhuXQak

I promised a return to Desert Island Discs and this week we'll feature
DJ Ducky and DJ DR.

Let's start with her royal quackness, DJ Ducky. She's had a terrible
time deciding on her list and I really do appreciate the time she's
spent in musical agony! Or is that in technical ecstasy? I think one of
the best things for me about DJ Ducky's current list is that a lot of my
favourite tunes are also on there. She's got good taste! Madonna, The
Stones, George Benson, Divinyls, Linda Rondstadt and Billy Idol all make
appearances So, let me pick a couple of highlights for you dear
listener...(I wonder if she realises she's sent me two lists so far!!)
First of all we have David Bowie from 1982 collaborating with Giorgio
Moroder. A very cool song indeed and I chose it because it sounds a lot
like Bowie meets The Sisters of Mercy. Or maybe they sound like him.

David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out Fire) (1982) -
http://youtu.be/YWX_MFNOL_Y

Next up from DJ Ducky is The Blues Brothers. My favourite version of
this is a live cut from the album "The Best of the Blues Brothers" but
this is the classic version from the movie. This was the first song that
DJ AB and I played on our radio stint! Great choice again.

The Blues Brothers - Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (1980) -
http://youtu.be/HCTJeT2i9QU

Finally we go to Cyndi Lauper. It's funny, Kasey Chambers has the same
style of voice yet I find Cyndi compelling and Kasey quite annoying.
More about Kasey later. Try this excellent tune from Ms Lauper. She's a
hoot and, if you look past the clothes, hair and makeup, a great singer.

Cyndi Lauper - Change of Heart (1986) - http://youtu.be/GNNZ782a7bw

DJ DR was the first Desert Island Discs respondent. His inspired
selection includes AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Johnny Cash, Midnight Oil and
Icehouse. I'm always pleased that DJ DR remained my friend after DJ DJ
and I did our best to deafen him with a Motorhead cassette. DJ DJ and I
had been to see the band the previous evening and we were deafened. But
we thought DJ DR should check out the tunes in his car. Funny. Here's
track one from DJ DR...great bass line. If you can't hear it on your
computer speakers then plug into a stereo or find some headphones.

Roxy Music - Love Is The Drug (1975) - http://youtu.be/0n3OepDn5GU

DJ DR chose an Oils song. I like that band, you may have guessed if
you've been reading and listening for a while. I'm almost at the stage
where I can listen to them again after the overdose that came about
rehearsing for the tribute shows with H and the band.

Midnight Oil - Jimmy Sharman's Boxers (1984) - http://youtu.be/fxCL_kT1G1s

Finally from DJ DR's selection comes an Australian legend of rock 'n'
roll. Stevie Wright started off with The Easybeats before a solo career.
I've played in two bands that have done this song and it is one of the
coolest tunes to play. I also did a version ages back with DJ DocW - hi
to you too Ron! Note that there are three parts to this song and
therefore it ends up being about 11 minutes. Radio usually onply plays
part 1 but DJ DR wanted the whole lot so here you go! Rock on!

Stevie Wright - Evie (1974) - http://youtu.be/In1VeSjsBT8

Righto, more next week from my listeners. DJ Bogus has provided his top
10 so look out. It's a treat for the younger demographic. I believe that
DJ Boots is also working on a list that promises to be heavy on Taylor
Swift!

I returned to work and therefore the commuter Olympics this week. It
never fails to amaze me the chest beating and posturing that goes on in
some people's ride to work. But I made a fatal mistake and got caught up
in it the other morning. Two guys jumped onto my wheel at the junction
of a bike path. They wouldn't go by me so I decided to see if I could
drop them. Well I did but it took about 5km of intense effort. And then
they turned off and I took a while to regain my composure. I think I'll
look on it as an interval training session!

I mentioned Kasey Chambers earlier. For overseas listeners, she is an
Australian country singer. She has a nasally baby voice that whilst
instantly recognisable has a tendency to grate on me. But the reason I
mention her is that H and I will be watching her play live on April 24th
next year. Why?? Well she's the support for Steve Earle and the Dukes!
How awesome! In 2014 I'm going to see two of my all time favourite
artists with Steve as well as Billy Bragg. Life is good. Steve can play
anything he likes from any of his albums and I'll be in a state of
nirvana. But, if I had to make a request then this would be a real treat...

Steve Earle - The Devil's Right Hand (1988) - http://youtu.be/QqW2x1knqq0

At the moment I feel very sorry for the people of the USA as a whole.
Their elected representatives on both sides of politics have done them a
disservice and continue to posture and pout rather than getting on with
the business governing. None of them are blameless. But for the moment
it looks like they're all going back to work and for many people I am
sure that there is a massive relief in being able to draw their pay. Oh
yeah, and you can visit any monument you like without having to run the
gamut of police who are in the unenviable position of having to keep
them closed.

Def Leppard - Hello America (1980) - http://youtu.be/2uIJ7NYZ5NA

I did promise a review of DJ Bogus' new Nexus 7 tablet but to be fair it
hasn't left his reach long enough for me to have more than a cursory
glance. So, wait out on that one.

Right, that's enough. Two more songs and then I'm off.

First of all Van Morrison. I've no idea why I chose this but I've been
listening to it all week. Beautiful clean guitars.

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl - http://youtu.be/kqXSBe-qMGo

And finally this one. Why? Because it's one of my theme songs...at the
conference today I wanted to stand up and shout, "just because I dress
like this doesn't mean I'm a public servant".

Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards - To Have And To Have Not -
http://youtu.be/4qeAnOX-UCk

Dogs need love. Cats pretend not to but a sneaky pat never goes astray.
Just don't get caught by the family or they'll know you're soft.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment