Friday, July 8, 2011

Song of the Week #150

Here we are at the 150th episode. Who knew that a weekly email to a few friends would mutate into a rambling weekly missive?!
 
I'll admit that some weeks it is a challenge to come up with a good set of tunes. Other times I agonise over which songs NOT to include.
 
But I've decided to branch out. I'm going to interview some of you out there about your favourite music. Why? Because I'm interested. I know why I choose songs but I am genuinely interested in why other people choose their favourites. I read yesterday that the right type of music can release dopamine into your system in the same way that certain foods, exercise and emotions can. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to contribute. I'll tap some of you on the shoulder anyway!
 
DJ Fatboy sent me this one during the week. He doesn't really know why he chose it but it did remind him of an old double cassette he used to have. Songs can trigger strong memories.
 
 
The next track is from one of Australia's best rock bands. It's a tune I used to play in a band a few years ago now. It's also one I'd forgotten about until I was in a record shop this week. And it might be the first time I remember seeing a white Gibson SG guitar – drool, drool!
 
 
To be truthful, I'm not even sure why I like the next song. It was on the radio in the car, it was catchy and I stopped and write the name of it down so I wouldn't forget. Checking out the various versions on YouTube I think that the singer does her best to dress like Ozzie Ostrich!! Cool song.
 
 
Here's something extremely cheesy. But I like it – I think I have the 45 somewhere still as well! Very much a SingStar favourite as well. I'm not quite sure how Jefferson Airplane mutated into 80's pop rock but this was the result.
 
 
As most of you know our house was burgled a while back. The saga with the insurance company is almost over. Unfortunately this replacement laptop has the worst sound system ever (one tinny speaker) so I hope that this track sounds OK. Brian Setzer is a rockabilly guitar legend. This is him playing with a big band and is very, very cool! I've been lucky enough to play a couple of shows with a brass section and it is a lot of fun.
 
 
Last week I played a track from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Later on I sought out one of their albums. Why someone didn't push me in their direction earlier on we'll never know. There is a fantastic version of the Ritchie Valens hit "Framed" on it. You should listen to it – it's great – especially with the Scots accent!! But here's an equally fantastic interpretation from Los Lobos. And if you haven't seen the movie that this version is from then get with the programme folks!
 
 
Finally, something I hadn't expected to like all that much. Kyuss were around in the early 90's I think. I remember getting a tune of theirs on a cassette sampler that came with the highbrow publication "Hot Metal Magazine". It was a good tape that introduced me to quite a few bands that I still listen to. But until this week, Kyuss wasn't one of them. I'm pretty sure I saw them supporting Metallica in 1992 but I was there for the main act. After picking up one of their CDs for $10 I've been playing it quite a bit. It's what I would imagine is referred to as "Stoner Rock" but there's more to it in my opinion. I'd describe it as being a bit like The Doors but with a much bigger bottom end. See what you think.
 
Kyuss – Space Cadet (language warning on this one)
 
Well, the sun is out so I think I'll head out for a run.
 
Have a good weekend.
 
DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment