Friday, March 18, 2011

Song of the Week #134

A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio. But, as usual, there wasn’t any station playing music worth listening too so I was making the grey cells work a bit harder with updates from the BBC World Service. Anything is better than the drivel on the local ABC at any time I’m in the car. To cut to the chase, they played a track by an old Czech progressive rock band called “Blue Effect”. It was pretty cool and with knowing nothing else about the band I present this tune for your listening pleasure!

Blue Effect - Lucerne

With the addition of a cassette player in my office I’ve been working my way through some old tapes. I always used to fill up the end of tapes with random tracks and some of these have been a nice surprise. This version of a Little Richard song reminded me just what an awesome band Creedence were…that voice, wow!

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Good Golly Miss Molly

This track popped up as well. From the best free album I ever got! Jenny Morris’ “Shiver” came free with a subscription to Rolling Stone. Just as well as the publication itself was a huge disappointment. This song also fits nicely with a theme I seem to have picked up – that of songs written by Paul Kelly and sung by others!

Jenny Morris – Street of Love

Now, here’s a blast from the past. Gone from the charts but not from our hearts. Bagpipes, I love them so turn this one up! At about 1 minute into this clip there’s a farm house that reminds me of a holiday my family took when we lived in Scotland. I was not very old and I assume the place looked nothing like that but memories are a funny thing.

Wings – Mull of Kintyre

From bagpipes to the singing budgie. I didn’t always have a soft spot for Kylie but I do now. Great energy, canny image management and a lack of tabloid scandal has contributed to her fame. This is a great track that has what a lot of her tunes are missing….guitars!

Kylie – Some Kind of Bliss

The best rock band ever have a live DVD coming out later this year. AC/DC recorded three shows in Argentina and slapped it together for our consumption. I’m not sure I’ll be pre-ordering a copy but it should be great. Angus and I couldn’t get tickets to their latest tour so when this finally arrives I’ll be rigging up the mother of all sound systems to play it on! Shame they can’t adjust the setlist a bit though, there are so many good songs that never get an airing.

But, for those of you who think that I’ve gone soft with my looming old age, I’m going to finish with a burst of pure aggression and energy. An exploration of modern throwaway culture from the master himself….

Neil Young – Piece of Crap (it’s worth the wait while they get themselves sorted at the start!)

Rock on brothers and sisters,

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment