Friday, September 18, 2009

Song of the Week - Episode 56

Ahoy there me hearties!

Tomorrow (Saturday 19th September) is international “Talk Like A Pirate” day and we’re celebrating it here today at work. Some “interesting” interpretations on pirate garb!

I could’ve made a sea shanty this week’s song but something else jumped out. So, if songs about the sea pique your interest then try this:

Thousands Are Sailing (The Pogues) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1G7aCpSsI

The World Triathlon Championships were held at the Gold Coast in Queensland last weekend. Quite a number of people from the club I train with pulled on the green and gold to represent Australia (as well as one for Singapore and one for the USA) – this is an awesome achievement and their efforts, especially training through a cold Canberra winter are just awesome!

I would mention Australian Football finals at this point but it might be bad luck so I’ll shut up about that!

I have less to say this week so on to the music.

As I said, we’ve been dressed up as pirates today. I am amused at some of the takes on what a pirate might wear. But, just getting into the theme is important. Next year I’ll be more organized and surely Captain Feathersword can make an appearance. This song is a summery one and it seems to fit with the costumes around the place! “Girls In Their Summer Clothes” by Bruce Springsteen. I love the way he can write a song that is a story. Much the same way artists like Wedding, Parties, Anything or Steve Earle can. Anything I try and write like that just sounds dumb!!

Here’s a YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4h8tYMdhIk

ManD mentioned some misheard lyrics today so I’ll put some together for a future episode. Feel free to send me any amusing ones you have heard.

DJ Rob

3 comments:

  1. Rob
    on a completey other matter, have been accumulating and refining my thoughts on A-E at MPS- I would like to get together and see your letter too some time. altho at this rate I won't have aything writen up till late

    ReplyDelete
  2. My letter? I haven't written anything. However, more than keen to talk to you about it. Anytime except Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh me hearty - how's your parrot? Not my fav BS song but not bad :)

    ReplyDelete