Saturday, July 27, 2024

World Wide Woozle episode #631

Hi everyone and welcome back.

For those interested, my regular listening playlist has been updated. 66 minutes of listening to perhaps lift your eyebrows and spark interest in something you haven't heard before, or for a long time. You can access it HERE on Spotify.


I recently finished the second book in Jimmy Barnes' autobiography. To be completely francis with you, I'm not sure how he's still alive. I learned a lot about addiction as a result of this chronicle of one of our greatest rock stars. As well as this, the story of his time in Cold Chisel gave me fresh perspectives from which to approach their music and I've enjoyed nearly all of their back catalogue in recent weeks. I regularly find that if I know some of the story behind a song or album that I am much more interested in it. I had a similar experience last weekend recording some backing vocals for one of George's upcoming records. Once immersed in the song and the story it just makes more sense. The challenge for the songwriter is, of course, to draw an audience in and hold them. Ever since the next track button appeared on CDs it seems as if we've lost the urge and/or attention span to listen to a whole song or album. Anyway, here's a cracking early live recording of Cold Chisel.

Cold Chisel - Home and Broken Hearted (live 1977) - https://youtu.be/-M6D-JctRqM?si=wCgl1v8jE1tPjmly

A few years ago now I asked my Dad if I could borrow his 35mm slides to scan some onto the computer. Well, not to rush things I actually made a start on it last weekend when the weather was nothing short of disgraceful. I worked my way through 28 slide trays (that's about 1120 slides). My plan had been to choose 50 to scan in and I ended up with 60. Not too bad. Once I worked out a system for processing them it's been relatively painless. I have no memory of seeing some of the slides and it was an interesting window into the world of our family in the 70s, as well as some from before I was born. I certainly am very fashionable in places as is everyone else! Seeing both my parents and grandparents as younger people has been a real treat. These pictures will be put in the cloud for my family to access if they want to. Here's someone you may recognise if you look closely...


Recently I had the opportunity to "work from home" at my Dad's place in Geelong. I suggested it to my bosses and they were very supportive. I already work from home one or two days a week so they know that I will get stuff done. It's about an 8 or 9 hour drive to Geelong depending on the route you take and if there are night roadworks on the back road! But I started up an audiobook and actually rather enjoyed the journey. We had a magnificent time for the week. Getting extended time just to hang out was the best bit really. I may have almost regretted wearing shorts on a walk around Queenscliff, but it made a few other people there laugh. To top it all off I got to zip into Melbourne on the train to see Angus and Em. And...one of my best friends from school came all the way from Moe to Geelong to ride the train back to Melbourne so that we had a chance to catch up. Legend.

Skyhooks - This Is My City - https://youtu.be/QXTJWqMzuBM?si=5TNXKn24VjtUYZAo

In Melbourne, my mate David took me to Greville Records in Prahran. I didn't have much time there but I'll be saving up and going back. They had tons and tons of cool records (both old and new) and I need a few hours for a good dig around. Put it on your list.

Deborah Conway - It's Only The Beginning - https://youtu.be/IyYVg3YDZh0?si=dfN6Tr3kFYI_G43v  

I think that LP records are far too expensive. $75 for an album is just silly money. I'm all about supporting artists but there is a limit. So when I saw a Billy Bragg album I didn't have at a seriously reduced price it was time to pounce. Billy recorded this album with his mate Joe while travelling across the USA on a train. Most are songs that I know from the original artist recordings but these on location recordings and the story behind the trip are rather cool.

Billy Bragg & Joe Henry - Railroad Bill (live) - https://youtu.be/eMVQd8IXNmY?si=4lCEBoV-3u4kG-Sk

And now, as a result of this I've been seeing if I can fit a short train journey into my American trip. The Amtrak website is probably sick of me already!

Glady Knight and The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia - https://youtu.be/jboC9-nL0WA?si=5ZMAJKk0AMWZ3r5W

The Southern River Band goes from strength to strength. Their album is almost due to be released and this single is a cracker. I do realise that it's an updated version of a song they've had for a while but I think it's great. The band is playing in Canberra, at The Baso, in August and I'm tempted to go along.

The Southern River Band - Chasin' After Love - https://youtu.be/CIUMeToH0Sk?si=lchi5_jwQ-yJQysy

Anna Coddington is a New Zealand artist that I knew nothing about until last week. Now I still know very little other than that her latest album, Te Whakamiha, is very, very fab and groovy. Sung in Māori and English, it is funky and soulful. A lot of it reminds me of Prince. I'll learn more about Anna and will be exploring more of her music as she has five long players in total that I can see. Kātuarehe means to be outstanding or marvellous. An apt description for this record.

Anna Coddington  - Kātuarehe - https://youtu.be/PrwPfjZY08M?si=oQKMFrM7yoRMqFWH

Finally, Melissa Etheridge has released an album, I'm Not Broken, that she recorded live at a gig inside a correctional facility. It's far from her greatest hits and that's rather cool. She reflects that she chose songs to match the occasion and location. I first heard this song when I had to learn it to play in a band. The version we had as a reference was this one by Robben Ford which is tops. Of course, the track was first recorded by blues legend Albert King. "If it wasn't for bad luck, you know I wouldn't have no luck at all".

Melissa Etheridge - Born Under A Bad Sign (live) - https://youtu.be/-7UJvo1zpUs?si=HgPZWrfDPcjPI64K

How's that? I hope there's a song in there that you like or perhaps leads you elsewhere.

Happy birthday Zoë xx.

Rock on everyone,
The Woozle

"Washington, Jefferson
Watch out baby cause here I come
Abraham, Theodore
You know you'll see my ugly mug
Up on Mount Rushmore, yeah."

Ian Hunter & The Rant Band, When I'm President, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment