Friday, April 5, 2024

World Wide Woozle episode #627

Hello out there, enormous listening world. Are you ready?

In what is a bit of a shock to me, my tickets to the USA (and home) are booked and paid for. Now comes the fun of working out exactly when and where I'm going in the time I've got there. All that is set in stone at the moment is that I'll start in Washington DC and finish in Huntsville AL. I do have a bit of a rough itinerary in mind but it's a big country and I've got the best part of a month there. To that end, I'll be sharing with you, my faithful listeners, why I'm thinking of going to certain places. It will be no surprise that many of these are chosen because they are in songs or books that I like a lot. Here's the first one, have a listen.

Jason Isbell - Tupelo - https://youtu.be/7uAcwatjW1w

All I know about Tupelo is that it is in Mississippi and Elvis was born there. The song, however, is one that hit me hard from the first time I heard it. Musically it is simple, yet memorable. The lyrics are about a breakup and a fresh start and whilst that's nothing new, the idea of going where no-one knows you, and of course a "girl that'll treat me fair" are just lines that I love. There's no other reason for me going there but I reckon I'll find something interesting just by walking around and talking to the locals.

I've written about Suicidal Tendencies, the band, before. I made a cassette copy of their self-titled debut album back in high school after a new kid in my class insisted I have a listen to it as well as Bucket by Painters and Dockers. The TDK D90 cassette with those albums on it was on heavy rotation for years and the CDs and now LPs are as well. I finally secured a copy on vinyl a couple of weeks ago. The music is part of the early days of skate punk and thrash. Lyrically it makes for some very clear political and social commentary. As a 16 year old it was the sound of a wider world and the fact that your opinion had to be loud to be noticed. I know that this music isn't for everyone but it was an album I escaped into over and over and it still means a lot to me.

Suicidal Tendencies - I Want More - https://youtu.be/1YWXxFtIfyw

Vika and Linda Bull are coming to Canberra in a few months. Some of you will know them from their time singing with the house band on the SBS TV show, RockWiz. And of course they were in The Black Sorrows as well as having success by themselves. Sisters, they have voices that complement each other really well as well as being distinctive. I'm definitely thinking of going along to hear them.

Vika and Linda - When Will You Fall For Me? - https://youtu.be/uL71-Ce9gFQ 

Mark Knopfler has a new album being released on April 12th. He's one of those guys that is instantly recognisable whether it's his voice or guitar. I don't quite know what to say about this song other than the shuffle and groove in the rhythm is really cool. So good!

Mark Knopfler - Two Pairs of Hands - https://youtu.be/IRLGFWjI1zE

I made a mixtape for someone recently. Well, it was a Spotify playlist but the sentiment was the same. I've made a few in the last couple of years and I do my best to make them eclectic but enjoyable. After some time in the car not all that long ago with a couple of my best mates I began to revisit Slim Dusty. So, if you'd like a playlist curated by yours truly you only need ask. This one might be on there for the simple reason that I like it a lot!

Slim Dusty - Cunumulla Feller - https://youtu.be/6guPzOQjcFw

Or for the rockers there's always this version which is pretty groovy also.

Tune in next time for loads more on your favourite show, The World Wide Woozle, where it's a killer and no filler.

Rock on,
The Woozle

"Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty
And meet me tonight in Atlantic City."
Bruce Springsteen, Atlantic City, 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment