Tuesday, October 10, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #615

Here we are again folks. It might be irregular, it might be a bit random, it might even get loud, but get ready for episode 615.

Don't forget that you can check out my every changing playlist of current listening on Spotify here

I've been keeping a journal this year. I know that loads of health professionals strongly recommend it, I advised my clients to do it when I was a mental health worker, I understand the logic behind it, but I've always struggled. I remember the first time a psychologist told me to do it and it lasted about three days. I can write in a blog all day about myself it seems but when it comes to putting it on paper I always found it weird and not particularly genuine. I've made a concerted effort to do it this year and so far I have only missed one day. It's the usual mix of how far I rode, what I listened to, what makes me happy or grateful, and then right at the end I've been trying to write how I really feel, even if it's only one sentence. Of course, everyone has bad days and I'm far from immune! The other day I wrote, "today was a good one; Angus got to go back to work and ZoĆ« messaged me about the hilarious announcer on the tube." There's nothing quite like ending the day with a smile.

Nat King Cole - Smile - https://youtu.be/xyHoohNyYkw

I've been playing a LOT of guitar recently in preparation for the gig I did on Saturday afternoon. Songs have come and gone dependent on whether I could play and sing them at the same time. It ended up being a good mix of old, new and random. I snuck Gerry Cinnamon, T.Rex and The Proclaimers in there for good measure. One of my originals had its first public airing (this one) and I threw in a couple of others as well. Thanks to Tim for the sweet deal on some new microphones and to Sam and Margaret for looking after me on the day! Next time I'm sure I'll be a lot more confident. I'm very much at home in the back corner of the stage playing guitar in a band and doing the whole thing on your own is a different experience.

Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem - Rock On - https://youtu.be/BvBbpvkuAtQ

Toddo and I had a great time seeing Tex Perkins in his stage show, The Man In Black. It was a journey through Johnny Cash's life in words and song. I don't think it was all that different to the last time I saw the show many years ago. As I've said before, I love the music as well as the fact that Johnny was open about being a human being, flaws and all. Tex has the voice to carry it off and his band and co-singer were top notch. 

Johnny Cash - The Man In Black (live) - https://youtu.be/oDd32K-mOVw

I've got big news for Jason Isbell fans out there. (If I haven't converted you to fandom then feel free to have a chat with me sometime!) Jason's album Southeastern is turning ten years old and a deluxe version is now available. You get one of the best albums of all time, remastered (on CD or LP), demo versions of all the tracks and a live set where Jason and his band, The 400 Unit, play the whole thing from start to finish. Of course, when I was in Junk Sculpture we beat Isbell to this by about eight years. Nothing beats a full album run through in front of a few friends and a stained glass window! The remastered original version sounds full and the bass throbs in a way it doesn't on the 2013 release but the gems in the deluxe version are the demos. They're intimate and deep. It's just Jason and an acoustic guitar and that guitar sounds gorgeous. Lyrically it has always been such a strong album and the demo tracks really make you feel part of them. The man has a gift! Yeah, yeah, you can stream the whole thing (I have been until it's in the shops) but live a little, support the artist for real and buy a copy.

Jason Isbell - Yvette (demo) - https://youtu.be/Whjeex6_QMo

I stumbled across a Rolling Stones tribute album during the week. A LOT of it is fairly pedestrian but the following version sounds to me like all involved not only really feel the Stones but had a great time making the record. Making a classic song your own is no mean feat.

Brothers Osbourne / The War And Treaty - It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) - https://youtu.be/Du131DreLnc

Zoot were an Australian rock band in the late 60s / 70s that included Rick Springfield, Rick Brewer, Beeb Birtles and Daryl Cotton. I was listening to their (recent) version of the next song yesterday and it's a ripper. Many of you will be like me and remember it as an 80s hit but don't let that put you off. Check Zoot out if you like great 70s rock. I'm sure you all know who Rick Springfield is...

Zoot - Life In A Northern Town - https://youtu.be/l8wEuAPstL8

I've been working away at cycling the equivalent elevation of Mt Everest this month by going up and down Black Mountain. I need 40 reps in total to get it done. I'm well ahead of the curve to make it on time but I really, really needed a day or two off the bike so I guess I'll have some longer rides coming up. It's a good challenge and, for the cyclists out there, hills are your friend! I'm still learning the hard way about not overdoing it. I also played lawn bowls on Sunday which may have contributed to me being a bit worn out. 

Jane's Addiction - Mountain Song - https://youtu.be/1kAIMlISHhU

Long time listeners may remember that I read Steven Van Zandt's autobiography a while ago. He's famous as a guitarist (on his own and with Bruce Springsteen), producer and agitator (Sun City) and songwriter. Well, the world is a funny place and Steven keeps popping up. He's the star of the awesome tv show, Lilyhammer and also a songwriter and producer on this record from Demolition 23. The band features Michael Monroe (Hanoi Rocks) and, whilst not new, was recently reissued and should appeal to punk rock fans one and all. This song is awesome, you could relate the lyrics to any music scene you can think of I reckon. We've not had nearly as much fun since The Terrace Bar and The Terminus closed down...

Demolition 23 - Hammersmith Palais - https://youtu.be/nsMrnCf4UnM

I think that's enough. Nap time for old men.

The Woozle

"Her name was Magill and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy..."
The Beatles, Rocky Raccoon, 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment