Friday, April 21, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #601

Welcome back and thanks for reading and listening along with me. Tinkerbell isn't here to tell you what to do but I'm sure we'll all cope just fine.

In the last week I've made a concerted effort to listen to new music that I probably would have ignored in the past. I got onto a mailing list from a little record shop in NZ and their lists of recommendations are particularly well thought out; so much so that I present the next track to you. It's all the way from NZ but the influences are very clear. Nile Rogers (Chic) is on guitar on a few tracks as well. Play this one if you enjoy New Order, Spandau Ballet or Bowie. To be honest with you I've spun this album about five times now and it gets better with every listen.

Jonathon Bree - Pre-Code Hollywood - https://youtu.be/RCv1OC4Z1n8

Sabaton have just released an EP called Stories From The Western Front. If you enjoy their particular brand of power metal combined with a keen interest in history then you won't be disappointed. The lead single is a cover of Motorhead's track 1916. I think they've done a good job. Each version is quite different with the original being stark and emotional. Sabaton have added their trademark sound and production but the song still hits home. You might spot the two surviving members of Motorhead in the clip too. 


The band We Will Ride Fast describe themselves as psychedelic post punk. I'm really not sure what that means, maybe Iggy Pop songs sung by the mailman whilst he wears a Pink Floyd shirt? Regardless, the noise they make is interesting and it held my attention for longer than a couple of songs. They are another band from NZ making music that's left of centre. Very cool indeed. Maybe there's something in the water.

We Will Ride Fast - Bing Bong Dong - https://youtu.be/nPcssvgebgg

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit have a new album due to drop in June. As is the way of the world, the album is recorded but we have to wait through a few months of single releases, new articles and the like. Here's the second release. Not only is Isbell a fantastic guitar player but he's a wordsmith as well. I can feel the story of whoever it is he's singing about and evoking that kind of emotion is a rare talent. 

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Middle of the Morning - https://youtu.be/zSI0uuKGhTk

Regular readers will know that I really quite like the ABBA / Scooby Doo metal mashup that is Ghost. They're about to release an EP that includes this little gem. Fans of progressive rock or middle of the road boredom may recognise it as one of Genesis' more excellent tracks (ie: not one of their MOR yawn fests). The original is here.

Ghost - Jesus He Knows Me - https://youtu.be/BE3kJeBr9QI

Steve Earle is doing a solo acoustic tour which sadly doesn't include Australia. That's a real shame. I get it, we're a long way away and touring is expensive but for one guy and a guitar maybe he could reconsider. The last time I saw him in Sydney the venue was pretty much sold out and extremely enthusiastic.

Steve Earle - The Galway Girl (live) - https://youtu.be/CqI6slo_IWg

It's a birthday week here with Angus hitting 25 and me somehow reaching 52. I'm very fortunate to have good friends to lean on because on days like these it's terrible being the only one left in Canberra. Angus has had a big few weeks including being concussed at football, getting reported and sent off as well as locking himself in an electrical cupboard at work by mistake. How he ever made it to a quarter of a century is a mystery! 

Lastly, Painters and Dockers are playing in Sydney (at The Factory in Marrickville) on Saturday July 29th. I'm planning on going. If anyone else out there is keen to come along for what promises to be a great evening then please let me know soon so that I can secure tickets and prepare to "Dock On".

Painters and Dockers - Die Yuppie Die (live) - https://youtu.be/ATi9d76vWCw

That's all folks. Rock on.

The Woozle.

"All the kings and queens in the Bible
They could not turn back time
So what chance have I, of a miracle
In this life of mine?"
Paul Kelly, If I Could Start Today Again, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment