Sunday, August 14, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #580

Hi everyone, to paraphrase those deep thinking philosophers called Whitesnake, "here I go again…"

How cool is the original version of that Whitesnake classic? Better than the hairspray filled version from 1987? Maybe.

I delayed this episode on purpose so that I could report back about last night's Russell Morris show. I'd seen a while ago that he was coming to town (well, almost to town) and although I've been leading a relatively hermetic lifestyle I couldn't resist. I last saw him when he was touring the Van Diemen's Land LP a few years ago and I was struck by how good a story teller Russell was.

Russell and his band played at the Tallagandra Hill Winery which was about a 45 minute drive for me. It's a top venue that has attracted some great acts in recent times including Jimmy Barnes, Richard Clapton and The Badloves. It's also where I saw Steve Kilbey (The Church). I still think it was a dreadful show. However, Russell was as good, if not better than last time I saw him. For a guy that was recording singles in the late 60s, with input from people like Molly Meldrum and Johnny Young, he is remarkable. Russel has clearly looked after his voice as well as perhaps being blessed with decent genetics because he hit every note. It was also refreshing to be able to hear his guitar, it was NOT just a prop and he took a guitar solo towards the end of the show as well. There was a decent mix from all the eras of his career and the crowd and band clearly enjoyed the show. I hope the bass player watches some footage of himself before too long. He plays really well but we really didn't need all the stupid faces he was pulling as it detracted from the show. Russell has a new album (with Rick Springfield) so check that out. If you get the chance to see him play then you should take it.

Russell Morris - Hush (live 2022) - https://youtu.be/_DEwnoK5lmo

Russell Morris - Birdsville - https://youtu.be/efq7dzfHegs

A long time ago I lived in country Victoria. I moved away to join the Army before I had a chance to get into the local music scene but I did grab a couple of cassettes of a local band called Lethal Dose one time when I was home on leave. The band was pretty good and I played those tapes quite a bit. A local guy, who joined the band a little later, also went on to play with Mortification and is now in a band called Terraphobia. Mick and the band have a new album coming very soon and a couple of singles are available for streaming. This is for those of you who like their music dark, heavy and fast. All the way from Moe to the World…

Terraphobia - Rise - https://youtu.be/p9bNCiwviy0

I've been trying a couple of podcasts when I'm out walking. Some days I want to listen to the birds and nature but if there's more car noise than chirping I'll tune into something. I was listening to an annoying podcast this week. It was annoying in the same way that low brow TV has to remind you every ten seconds about what is going on. After every song there was a complete recap of what had been said less than five minutes ago. In amongst all that and the host talking all over the guests and reminding us ad infinitum what his name is, I did glean a couple of interesting facts. One was about the guitarist Slash and him going to his girlfriend's house to "listen to music" and her kicking him out because that's what he did. It reminds me of a similar conversation after I saw La Bamba at the movies. Anyway, here's a track from the album that completely captivated Slash's attention.

Aerosmith - Last Child - https://youtu.be/DzVwt-1LpxE

I heard about this band yesterday. The review sounded OK so I threw the album on for a listen. I guess it's not earth shatteringly original but I did quite enjoy it. It's not a million miles from Juliana Hatfield or The Dollyrots in an indie pop moment. Great clip too for you Star Wars fans.

Beach Bunny - Weeds - https://youtu.be/aglrswZJosc

Here's something out of left field that I don't quite know how to describe. If Joy Division, The Mark of Cain and Carcass had a musical offspring then Chat Pile might be it. It's uncomfortable listening at times but I'm sure that's the point. Heavy, noisy, lyrically pointed and sometimes a bit dreamy. It's a trip from Oklahoma. Get a ticket.

Chat Pile - Pamela - https://youtu.be/jCdW0tLkOAQ

A while ago now, Bing recorded a version of Midnight Oil's song Time To Heal with me playing some guitar. You can see and hear it by clicking here. As the World sinks deeper into pandemic, political division and religious intolerance, with much of the intolerance driven by the media, it seems like the right time to play the song again.

Midnight Oil - Time To Heal - https://youtu.be/Ibqa1DsERaU

All things being equal, the next episode will be coming to you direct from the new HQ Woozle. Watch this space, rock on and keep smiling.

The Woozle

"A million lights are dancing and there you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me, eternally"
Olivia Newton-John, Xanadu, 1980.
No-one ever clicks on this last link...it's often not what it says...on purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment