Friday, June 10, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #572

Hi everyone, buckle up.

 

It's been a cold, cold week here in Canberra. Cold enough to break out almost all of my winter cycling gear. In truth, I could've used it all but some wore out last year, went in the bin, and I haven't replaced it yet. Whoops! After the rain finally gave up we've gone back to clear, very crisp and blue days and that's just another reason why I love living here. In truth, I could probably pack up now and move anywhere with a decent internet connection (so that I could work)…but nowhere else (realistic) really appeals. I don't think the government would let me work remotely from Vanuatu…

 

The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death - https://youtu.be/QO5dcW0P75M

 

I've been seriously enjoying a lot of music in 5.1 surround in the last couple of weeks. So much so that I may have to consider a new system myself when I get a house organised. I had a really good listen to the Steven Wilson mix of Jethro Tull's Stormwatch album. It's already one of my favourites but I heard so much more of it in the immersive experience.

 

Jethro Tull - Something's On The Move - https://youtu.be/_UYhULU3Yb0

 

Let's talk about albums that are a complete listening experience. These are the albums where the tracks flow, you'd never want to skip a song and if you hear them out of order then it just sounds wrong. I've had a few suggestions and I've done some listening. DJ DJ suggested Metallica's Master of Puppets. It's definitely a great, and very influential album. The question here is; is it more than just a collection of great songs lumped together. So onwards I went, listening…thinking and doing more listening. Could I FEEL it for all 55 minutes? Yep. He's right in that it draws the listener in and holds them there. Well it does for me. The album is frenetic and the band, with a couple of albums under their belts, really hit it hard. In the past I must admit that I'd stopped after the first four tracks because they are just so strong. Spending time with the B side of the album, so to speak, has been a revelation. In the words of Robin Williams, "just play it loud, ok!"

 

Metallica – Disposable Heroes – https://youtu.be/sY3KKJdJQ-o

 

I managed to sell my single speed bike. It was lovely but it just wasn't for me. I need a few gears or my back starts to grumble. The physio agreed when I saw him yesterday too. It didn't stop him digging his elbows into me quite hard! I think I'll be on the lookout for an older racing bike that I can use for riding to work every day.


Neil Young - Old Man - https://youtu.be/An2a1_Do_fc


Old punk rockers and anyone interested in good music should check out the miniseries Pistol via Disney+. It's a dramatisation of some of Steve Jones's (Sex Pistols' guitarist) book. I'm a couple of episodes in and it's really well made. 70s England really does look like quite a desperate place to live.


Sex Pistols - Seventeen (live) - https://youtu.be/UTAZtx2305E


It's the Queen's Birthday long weekend in almost all of Australia. It's a fair old time to be on the throne. Marvellous effort that.


Motorhead - God Save The Queen - https://youtu.be/Qa1wdUkeuvE


Finally, a huge thanks to my mate Marty all the way up there in beautiful Bonny Hills for a nudge towards the next band. I'd had a very cursory listen in the past but nothing serious. AND he sent me a link to their NPR Tiny Desk concert which is one of my favourite series. They're a pretty interesting band and if you like Springsteen, Isbell and/or Ron Sexsmith then try them out.


The War On Drugs - Holding On - https://youtu.be/6-oHBkikDBg


Have a great weekend, week, life, whatever. And be kind to each other.


The Woozle

"I spent a week near Myall Creek,
Where the birds screech some truth from the trees.
I just couldn't speak near Myall Creek,
Where the silence brings me to my knees..."
George Huitker & Junk Sculpture, Near Myall Creek, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment