Monday, October 5, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #529

I'm back home now. The dogs and I survived a week of each other! At one stage I woke up wondering why it was hotter than a hot thing only to find a small black dog under the covers and wrapped around my feet. Better than the other type of black dog by a million miles.

On Friday night, George and Sam came along to the open mic night with me. George and I sang a few songs (well, he sang and I tried to look good) and then I did a couple by myself. Loads of fun indeed. Sam got up for a couple at the end and did a great job. Rock on! It's pretty cool to be at a venue where anyone can have a go and people are so kind. Thanks to you both for coming along; it meant a lot. Next time everyone reading who lives close by can come and sing along OK?

Baby Animals - One Word - https://youtu.be/NQkGcWGZdzA

Sometimes the simple songs are the best and I was reminded by another performer how cool this song is. It doesn't matter which version you choose to listen to...it's all about tapping your foot and singing along.

Jimmy Barnes & Jessica Mauboy - Good Times (live, 2016) - https://youtu.be/g5MclNZqeOE

I've just finished reading a biography written about AC/DC founder, Malcolm Young. Look, it was pretty thorough and did a reasonable job and being what I think is best described as, "warts and all". But for a book that claims to have been checked by people that were intimately involved with the band, listing 1976's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap as the band's first album is a pretty dreadful mistake. It was their third. In good news, the teaser for the band's new single is doing the rounds so surely we won't have to wait much longer. I tried my hand at playing some AC/DC songs on Friday evening. Anyone who says you can't play hard rock on an acoustic guitar simply isn't trying hard enough.

During the week I had a conversation with a guy who had just discovered the band Nightwish. It's sort of gothic, operatic, folky heavy metal. I like it in short bursts. I know I've played this clip before but it never fails to make me smile. The song has a great beat and when you remember that the lyricist has English as a second language it's very impressive. And the clip....how much fun did they have making it?

Nightwish - Storytime - https://youtu.be/5g8ykQLYnX0

I've just finished watching the third season of the Netflix docu-drama, The Crown. I'm not a fan of the monarchy but the series is well put together and interesting from a historic point of view. Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret is well cast and Tobia Menzies does a great job as the Duke of Edinburgh. In this season, there's an episode about the Welsh mining disaster at Aberfan in 1966. I did a bit of reading about that and of course the YouTube algorithms decided that I needed to know so much more about it. In amongst the latest heavy metal and folk releases I kept getting songs about mining...and there are plenty. This one stood out though. There are a heap of other versions from artists like The Dubliners, Peter Paul & Mary and U2 but, as is often the case, let's stick with the original.

Luke Kelly - Springhill Mining Disaster - https://youtu.be/ORQj_j7_NM4

Those of you who have been reading for a while know that I struggled with my mental health for a period of time. Now I work in that field trying to shine a little bit of light for other people. But mental health ebbs and flows and I had a little ebb a few weeks ago. Seriously, everything was going swimmingly apart from one area. I noticed I was struggling and I knew that I really, really didn't want to go backwards so off I went to the GP. She was very understanding and sent me off to a new psychologist who pretty much hit my reset button and after a couple of sessions has me back on the straight and narrow. This is not meant to be saying, "look at me", I really want to encourage anyone out there who isn't feeling so good to do something about it. You can wait years and make a mess of a lot of things or you can get some help. This is the same for your physical health too. Remember, fit your oxygen mask before trying to help others.

Hothouse Flowers - I Can See Clearly Now - https://youtu.be/Y1HRcoHGmi4

This is a shorter episode. I've enjoyed being outside far too much this long weekend but I promise a return to form next time around. 

Rock on,
Rob

"...I don't live for music no,
I say I live for rock 'n' roll..." Choirboys, Never Gonna Die, 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment