Friday, April 17, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #505

Thank you to the many of you who have answered the call to help out families on Pentecost in Vanuatu. Together, as a community joined by any number of different linkages, we've raised a significant amount. I'm very humbled by you all. The situation there is dreaful. Much worse than in 2015. What you need to know is that I have a photo on my phone of almost everyone who has ever helped us out. Our families on Pentecost love seeing photos and you're all included every time someone asks to look. Tankyu tumas.

Earth, Wind and Fire - Gratitude (live 1981) - https://youtu.be/CCOLluokUH4

So, I've got a new job as you know. The official title is Community and Peer Advisor. It promises to be challenging and rewarding as I work with military veterans and their families to assist them in moving forwards in some difficult situations. One of the prerequisites for the job was having lived experience of a mental health problem. Many of you know, and a lot have guessed anyway, that I've had anxiety, depression and an eating disorder for a few years now. I've always been reticent to write here about it because for so long I denied that I had a problem and then I was ashamed and embarrassed. It's not something I would wish upon my worst enemy. It took me a long time to get some help, and even longer to do more than simply pay it lip service. Mental health is like physical health folks, you need to work on it. A physiotherapist once told me that I was a great patient because I would actually do all the recovery work necessary. In fact they told me more than once only to do what they recommended, not twice as much. Mental health is the same and when I finally found a psychologist that I liked and worked with him it began to make a difference. I'm still very much a work in progress and recovery isn't a linear progression - there are good and bad days. Hopefully my limited understanding of what it's like to live through this will help someone else. It puts an interesting spin on that old saying, "you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps!"

Low Self Opinion - Rollins Band (live) - https://youtu.be/SbW6SuS7y6Y

You may have read that American singer-songwriter John Prine died recently. He was 73 and the corona virus got him. I haven't been listening to his music for very long but have discovered that he was very much a favourite of many artists that I like. Jason Isbell, for example, can't speak highly enough of John's work. Interestingly enough, Kris Kristofferson, who I had the privilege of seeing in concert last year, is credited with being a part of bringing Prine's music to the public eye (ear?) For me, with John Prine you get honest lyrics and a no nonsense delivery. Very much for folk music fans as well as those of you who like Americana.

John Prine - Sam Stone (live c.1970) - https://youtu.be/OLVWEYUqGew

John Prine - Way Back Then (live 2019) - https://youtu.be/b9z_wBPX2lE

I was watching a documentary on YouTube recently about American singer Pat Benetar. Did you know that she was the first solo female artist to appear on MTV? Neither did I. Of course the M in MTV stands for moronic these days; there's no music to be had. A far cry from my memories of staying up late in the hope that Richard Wilkins (MTV Australia) would play something remotely heavy. He rarely did. Here's Pat Benetar's first charting single...

Pat Benetar - Heartbreaker (1979) - https://youtu.be/mIosHNpGjTE

I'm really enjoying some of the home recordings that any number of artists are putting out to keep everyone amused whilst they are at home. Paul Stanley (KISS) has a great series of videos where he's sitting and talking about KISS songs and playing some of the riffs for you to sing along with. Billie Joe Armstrong has a few very cool covers including a duet with Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles. John Fogerty, Amanda Shires, Lukas Nelson, Brian May and many others are worth searching out. After all, time is all we have! Guitar players may like a personal lesson from Robby Krieger of The Doors teaching you how to play Roadhouse Blues!

As many rockers get older they are happier to be open about their influences and sing a few of their songs. Glenn Danzig is a rock/punk/metal singer most famous for his work with The Misfits as well as a few very good albums with his own band, Danzig. Released from him now is a record of Elvis songs. There's probably not a lot of money to be made here for Glenn and I can only assume that he's done this as a huge Elvis fan. It doesn't sound bad at all to me and it's a long way from the karaoke versions of many tributes. See what you think. I'll play one of the Elvis covers and then a classic track featuring Glenn on vocals.

Glenn Danzig - One Night (Elvis cover, 2020) - https://youtu.be/iUOonji-Kmw

Danzig - Mother (1988) - https://youtu.be/Q7KLdET1lBM

And just because I'm in the mood, here's ABBA. What I like about ABBA is that they are the real deal. Great melodies, amazing vocals and a whole lot of fun. If you're feeling down then put on a few ABBA tracks and dance around as if no-one is watching. I did. It worked.

ABBA - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (live 1979) - https://youtu.be/Rgu_0g0ztT4

ABBA - Waterloo (live 1979) - https://youtu.be/CiRYH7Me6Cw

Lastly, Canberra band Witchskull will release their third album on 24th of this month. I've got their first two long players, "The Vast Electric Dark" and "Coven's Will", and can definitely recommend them to anyone who likes bands like Black Sabbath and Kyuss. This is loud, heavy stuff and it is great. The new album is called "A Driftwood Cross" and is out through Rise Above Records.

Witchskull - Breathing Blue Light (2018) - https://youtu.be/TlZjK5b58X8

40 years ago this week Judas Priest released their album British Steel. I picked this album up, on cassette from K-Mart, when I was about 16. It was a two for one deal with another of their albums, 1978's Killing Machine. These two albums remain firm favourites of mine to this day and I still have the tapes. It wasn't until a few years later that I saw footage of Judas Priest playing live and they were the epitome of Heavy Metal to me - all leather and studs. British Steel still sounds great for a 40 year old album and if you've never listened to Judas Priest before it's a great place to start.

Judas Priest - Metal Gods (live 1982) - https://youtu.be/I9PjOhz3FSM

There you go. More than enough music and news to keep you busy for a little while.

Rock on brothers and sisters,
Rob

"Remember when you were young?
You shone like the sun...." 
Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pink Floyd, 1975


No comments:

Post a Comment