Thursday, December 19, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #496

A warning...this is not a Christmas episode. It may, however, contain a Christmas tune. Apologies to those who may have seen some of them already via by Facebook feed! And yes, you're not dreaming, this episode is a day early. That's what happens when you have to clear your time in lieu at work ASAP!

Back to my review of the 100 supposedly essential albums....

Album 45/100 - Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise (2005)
I became aware of this album when asked to play one of its songs in the band with Bing and The Chief. I learned the song never having heard the original. Not long after that I got the CD and away I went. For the uninitiated, this is a rather eclectic recording. There's some folk, some dreamy pop, piano songs, horns and woodwind and Sufjan's light vocal touch. Long song titles are de rigeur here; longer than most Iron Maiden songs and that's saying something! My thoughts are that if you are open minded about music then you'll probably take some time with this album and end up really enjoying it. "Illinoise" is a broad soundscape, a bit of a carnival, and a long burn. Here's the song we played a while ago now...always haunting...

Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr. - https://youtu.be/otx49Ko3fxw

I had occasion this week to introduce my brother to the music of The Whitlams. This came about as he sent me this cool link to a video about the drummer Louis Burdett, who The Whitlams have a song about. Anyway, here's that song and also my favourite from the band. 

The Whitlams - You Sound Like Louis Burdett (live) - https://youtu.be/V-C1rHsUGU4

The Whitlams - I Make Hamburgers (live) - https://youtu.be/aIi3RYd-TOs

I played some music from Soul Asylum a few episodes back. Well, they've just released a new single and it's great. I can't tell if it reminds me of "Scarborough Fair" or "Working Class Hero" so maybe there's elements of both in there. There's a tour on the cards but nothing about a new album...yet. Fingers crossed.

Soul Asylum - Dead Letter - https://youtu.be/wyKLbUIyw0E

I've just finished reading "Tommyland", the autobiography of Motley Crue drummer, Tommy Lee. It wasn't a bad read but it wasn't earth shattering either. I imagine if you want actual information about the ins and outs of Motley Crue then you need to read "The Dirt" as well as watching the film. This book was very much about Tommy's colourful life - warts and all. I did really enjoy the fact that he wrote about the many different types of music he enjoys and their influence on his solo records. Other than that the book is a bit of a response to every celebrity magazine and TV story about him. For fans only.

The Dropkick Murphys are an American punk/folk band who make an awesome anthemic racket combining influences like The Pogues and The Clash. They're not afraid to make fun of themselves either. Merry Christmas indeed!

The Dropkick Murphys - The Season's Upon Us - https://youtu.be/qTx-sdR6Yzk

RockWiz's demise left a gaping hole in TV entertainment here in Australia. Thankfully, a lot of the best moments are still available online. Here's a great version of a Simon and Garfunkel classic for you all to enjoy. One of the things I wish that I could do is to sing in harmony. I can't though, I have enough trouble sticking with the melody!

Emma Louise and Husky Gawenda - The Sound of Silence - https://youtu.be/relfz3ZFsZA

And then there's this little gem. of a tune....what a voice!

Connie Mitchell - What A Feeling - https://youtu.be/iJUNznsc4JI

It's not long now until DJ ZedBoots packs up those boots and moves to London. We're making the most of her time here by making her cook dinner and empty the dishwasher ha ha! This afternoon the three of us are off to see the new Star Wars film woo hoo! But here's a beautiful rendition of a song that's been in my mind for a while... Not all the lyrics fir this situation but you get the idea I hope. More harmonies too....

John Denver and Cass Elliot - Leaving On A Jet Plane - https://youtu.be/NKdknYaSHgE?t=108

Have a great Christmas everyone. 

Rob

"Why don't you get a haircut and get a real job?". Get A Hair Cut, George Thorogood & The Destroyers, 1993.


No comments:

Post a Comment