Wednesday, May 22, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #482

I really don't know where to start this episode. A while ago I tried to leave writing about politics to one side but, after Australia's recent Federal Election, it's a hard thing to ignore. Maybe I'll start there. If you aren't interested in Australian politics or my opinion then feel free skip forward a bit.

Midnight Oil - One Country - https://youtu.be/Mz3HShQkdd4

This has been a remarkable election in many ways. Not only did every single pre-election poll get it wrong but so did all of the major political commentators and journalists. Did they underestimate the attraction of the Liberal - National Party coalition? Not really. Only a few LNP politicians recorded major swings towards them in the primary vote. What seems to have happened is that voters not wanting to vote Labor, Green or any left leaning party sprayed their votes among those parties on the right of the spectrum such as the United Australia Party or One Nation. And when their significant number of preferences were brought to bear, the LNP was the clear beneficiary. This has made me sad, angry and frustrated over the past few days. When did it become OK for a billionaire to spend $80m on an election simply to avoid a Labor Government? Why have Australians, renowned for giving people a fair go, voted for a government with an appalling record with regards to the treatment of refugees and minority groups? Why have working Australians voted to allow big business to continue to pay little or no tax? Why did Australians vote to continue to ignore the environment? And why did Australians vote to allow the top 20% of wealthiest retirees to avoid paying tax? I could go on but you probably get the general idea. I do have an answer for you. Firstly, many Australians are almost completely disconnected from the political process. Our politicians, in general, are such a circus that a lot of people simply turn off. As a result, when making their electoral choices they may be greatly influenced by the media without anything resembling a decent level of critical thinking. Secondly, for those actually interested, there is very little balanced newspaper and TV reporting available. I won't even start on the shock jock right wing radio personalities who do little except promote outrage, intolerance and ignorance. The other thing worth mentioning is that the Labor Party went into the election making two key mistakes. One was to actually have a well thought out and readily available range of policies on offer. This was in complete contrast to the LNP for the main part. Voters were scared into thinking that Labor wanted to tax or change everything. And while that may or may not have been the truth, the reality is that many voters made their mark on the ballot paper with one hand on the pencil and the other protecting their wallets. The other mistake the Labor Party made was their leader. Bill Shorten seems to me to be a man genuinely keen to do well by the Australian people (so does Scott Morrison, the Liberal Party leader) but he is simply not popular with voters. And with politics being (sadly) more about personality than substance and policy, he was fighting an uphill battle. In the end, the figures reveal that the LNP got the lowest primary vote they've ever had. I'd say that the message from this election is that the three major parties have a lot of work to do to engage Australians.

The Saints - Know Your Product - https://youtu.be/h9M3b9lh-7s

I've been a Labor voter since I first voted at 18. I was brought up to believe in equality and what Australians call a fair go. At university I discovered, through study and music, political movements and ideals that resonated with me. As a result I lean to the left of the political spectrum. This time around I couldn't vote for Labor though. Whilst no political party is ever perfect there was one issue that stood out for me. The Labor Party committed funding, if elected, to open up coal seam gas extraction (fracking) in northern Australia. This flew in the face of almost everything else they were doing to address issues relating to climate change and the environment. I did contact my local Labor candidate about it but she was either unwilling, or not allowed to comment.

TISM - I'm Interested In Apathy (live) - https://youtu.be/Yv3jcpFjmus

Let me be perfectly clear here, this is not an invitation for discussion about politics in Australia. I'm simply not in a place to be able to do that at the moment. My view is that Australia has ended up with a government that is not at all interested in the values that I think define Australia. Other countries could now fairly see us as xenophobic, greedy and self-serving. 

Spy Vs Spy - Mingle n' Mix - https://youtu.be/gP-QmmQCEhQ

The election, along with a few other issues made me decide this week to take an extended break from Facebook. There's a toxic element to social networking in general that I decided that I didn't need for now. Facebook, and Instagram to a lesser extent, can be wonderful for allowing people to share their holiday photos, significant events and, in my case, this blog. What I have grown to dislike more and more recently is the amount of time wasted on either being angry online or people being self-righteous. I'm only a few days into my self-imposed exile but it feels pretty good so far. I've read more interesting and positive articles on various blogs and have also spent more time offline which I think is healthy.

Kane Gang - Respect Yourself - https://youtu.be/vscJUpNZn78

Good grief; all of that sounds like a therapy session. If you're still with me....THANK YOU!

I've been reading about cyclists who've taken themselves off on longer riding adventures such as across the USA or the length of the UK. In my opinion riding across Australia is simply too dangerous. Our roads aren't designed for it and staying out of the way of cars and trucks is too hard. I did find one interesting ride from the top of South America all the way to the bottom. It's 11,000km. But it's already booked out ha ha! I must admit that there is a certain appeal in setting off on an adventure. For a while longer I'll stick to riding around here but you never know what's coming up...

Metallica - Wherever I May Roam - https://youtu.be/cwPg8gJq_Kw

It's just less than a month before Zoe and I head back to see our families on Pentecost in Vanuatu. It'll be great to be pretty much off the grid and spending time with people who live life at a very different pace to us. That reminds me that I'd better sort out a couple of classic pieces of literature to take with me. In the past I've enjoyed having the headspace to read for pleasure. 23 days to go I think, but who's counting?!

Warumpi Band - My Island Home - https://youtu.be/yZEodxUx2ME

I know that song's about Elcho island in Arnhem Land but you hear it non-stop in Vanuatu and let's face it, it's just a great track.

The new running (walking) shoes have arrived. I was going to buy them locally but the $70 difference in price was too much to absorb. I've only been wearing them today and haven't tried running again but I'll get to it shortly. Canberra is being blessed by fabulous Autumn weather which is perfect for being outdoors. I've also been for my foot ultrasound but I haven't got the results yet. What that means is that the Podiatrist's thoughts were correct, meaning that there's nothing going on down there that he didn't expect. That's good news.

Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans - https://youtu.be/o-eWAuFmjN0

Gee, I haven't written anything about music yet. The truth is that I've not done much listening in the last couple of weeks. A combination of enjoying Angus being home and working a lot has meant that I've really only had the radio on for the news. I have, however, churned through another couple of supposedly essential albums....here are my broef thoughts on them.

Album 31/100 - Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988)
Public Enemy differed from their well known contemporaries, Ice-T and NWA in that their message, although often graphic and uncompromising, offered some forward thinking and solutions. I was a big fan of their 1990 album, "Fear of a Black Planet" even if I had been unable to get through a small crowd to meet them one day in Brisbane after being told by another fan that I wasn't welcome because I was white. That was an interesting moment. However, this is a really good listen. Chuck D has THE voice for rap music and all the elements of PE's particular style are rock solid here. The samples, beats and scratches are now legendary on this seminal long player. A couple of years later the band would team up with thrash metal titans, Anthrax, for a reworked version of "Bring The Noise". If you're thinking that you should have a listen to some rap music to see what all the fuss is about then start here. It doesn't get any better.

Public Enemy - Prophets Of Rage - https://youtu.be/_2JoFPHpYzI

Album 32/100 - Various Artists - Guardians of the Galaxy (soundtrack 2014)
I'll admit that I was taken aback to see a compilation album listed in an essential 100 list. And whilst I'm a big fan of the movie (it's a hoot) I didn't think that this soundtrack should be on the list. If any soundtrack was going to be included I'd have the ones from "Good Morning Vietnam" or even "La Bamba". The thing is, once you listen to the Guardians soundtrack album a few times, especially if you're familiar with the film, it sort of makes sense. It all fits together really well and you understand how much of a part the music plays in making the film so successful as a motion picture experience. So; not my favourite soundtrack by a long shot but still a decent compilation.

Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling - https://youtu.be/_ZKZ_lQ5FWQ

That'll do folks. I'll try and be on a more even keel for the next episode. Thanks for listening.

Rob

"...this isn't the land I was told it would be,
it's not so equal and not so free...", The Long Run, Redgum, 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment