Wednesday, October 10, 2018

World Wide Woozle episode #457

My feet hurt. This is for a couple of reasons. One is that I have a part time job that involves being on my feet all the time. The other is that I'm having a month of hill climbing on the bike. Both of these are self-inflicted, first-world problems I know. For those interested, I'm doing an "Everest" month climbing Black Mountain here in Canberra. I need to go up 38 times in October to climb the same amount of metres as Everest is high. Last week I managed to get it done it thirteen times even though some rain limited my efforts on two days. This week I've ridden eight reps including today's personal best of five in a row. I'm really not sure if I can keep that rate up but it's a good challenge and excellent training for my assault of Mt Baw Baw in November.

Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac cover) - Elton John - https://youtu.be/Te9hbKYlLto

You may have read that The Beatles "White" album is being re-released. Note that this is a remix, not just a remastering. Giles Martin (Sir George's son) was in charge as he was for the "Sgt Pepper's" remix that was released last year. There is a standard stereo mix as well as 5.1 surround sound and a heap of demos and acoustic versions. The whole shebang is 7 discs and a 164 page hardback book as well as other bits and pieces. If you're a Beatles tragic or if you just think that this was possibly their best album (as a whole) this should be well worth a listen. Save up now, it's out on November the 9th!

The Beatles - Back In The USSR (Esher Demo) - https://youtu.be/UAhWGnDZ0po

Shamelessly adding to their superannuation funds, Midnight Oil are back with a live release from their recent world tour. Here's the thing...the super deluxe mega version (or whatever it is called) is only available on DVD. If you buy BluRay then there's a whole lot of stuff including a whole other concert that you miss out on. Boo hiss! As I've mentioned in the past, I think I've watched enough Midnight Oil live footage to last anyone a lifetime whilst trying to figure out bits and pieces of their guitar lines. But, I hear that this may be shown at the cinema so I might head along to see it on the big screen.

Midnight Oil ft. Yirrmal - Treaty (live) - https://youtu.be/uMRrMsUxwPI

The death of Prince left a gaping hole in the musical landscape. Along with David Bowie I think he was one of the most creative artists that I've heard. I've read that at times he used to mix the sound for live gigs whilst he was performing...amazing! Anyway, I heard this next tune on Double J last week and it hit a nerve. No doubt many of you will be familiar with the Sinead O'Connor version but this is Prince and his band performing the song that he wrote. 

Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U - https://youtu.be/cpGA0azFdCs

A while ago H gave me a CD by UK prog rockers Tilt. I've played them before. I grabbed the CD this week and put it in the car for a good listen whilst driving to and from work. It really is a cracker. Soaring melodies, great guitar work and great vocal delivery. It's not so proggy that it ends up being impenetrable instead drawing you to a listening experience that is hard to describe. Entwining might be a good word. 

Tilt - Strontium Burning - https://youtu.be/-ZJJ7jtlMHc

I also took a bit a diversion into 70s rock recently via Stevie Wright's albums "Hard Road" (1974) and "Black Eyed Bruiser" (1975). If you take a listen to these alongside to much of the music being produced by Vanda & Young and released by Alberts then you'll notice some of their trademark sounds as well as their songwriting hooks. These are from a time when radio and live shows were king. 

Stevie Wright - Hard Road - https://youtu.be/Lo2KhDu__1Y

My favourite Judas Priest album turned 40 just the other day. "Killing Machine" came out in October 1978 (re-titled "Hell Bent for Leather" in the USA). I didn't get a copy until 1986 or 1987 but it was part of a double cassette with the "Living After Midnight" album that I picked up at K-Mart! Why is it my favourite? It's a bit hard to pin down a good reason but perhaps it just has a swagger and menace that some of their other stuff doesn't quite have. I like it as a complete album and it's classic UK metal at its best.

Judas Priest - Delivering The Goods - https://youtu.be/soNcOfRvOtg

So there you have it folks. More tunes to check out. Hopefully one will pique your interest and you'll disappear into the joy that is the YouTube wormhole of time and space. See you all next time.

Rob

"...gonna build a bridge and not a wall...", Ain't Gonna Let Them Turn Us Around, Mark Ribot/Steve Earle/Tift Merritt, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment