Friday, December 22, 2017

World Wide Woozle episode #431

Welcome back. Whilst I'm doing my level best not to be Scrooge or a Grinch, please don't expect a Christmas playlist this week. 

I'm still working on getting into the new Foo Fighters album, "Concrete and Gold". It's not bad and those who are already fans of the band should definitely enjoy it. Right at the end of the album is a track that is just fantastic and one that makes me think that Grohl and Co. are making music for themselves as much as for public consumption. Wearing your influences on your collective sleeves is more than appropriate when it's this good.

Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold - https://youtu.be/VGLXH9wqID0

Josh Todd is the singer for the American hard rock band Buckcherry. They've been around for a while and play an honest, energetic style of rock that's guaranteed to get most fists pumping. Josh has just released an album called "Year of the tiger". I've only had a quick listen but it warrants more air time so I thought I'd plug a track here.

Josh Todd & The Conflict - Rain - https://youtu.be/MvdON8CcWbo

Long time readers may remember that I'm a bit of a fan of the "Wolfenstein" series of computer games. I have fond memories of using the 3D version released in 1992 to test PCs that I was building at work. The latest version, however, only runs on the newest XBOX or PlayStation. That's a shame as it's impossible to justify the cost of a new console simply to play one game.

Iron Maiden - Aces High - https://youtu.be/Xg9aQvjMS60

I've been making a concerted effort to get to my target distance for the year with my cycling. With significant time off in 2017 due to injury, illnesses and more rain than I remember, it's a bit of a struggle. However, I have just under 265km to go to reach the goal of 12,000km. I've ridden the last 16 days straight and that's 29 rides. It'll be 30 by the time I get home this evening. Next year looks like being very different for a number of reasons but I still plan to try and average 1,000km a month. Anything over the total of 12,000km is a complete bonus in my opinion. And why do I do it? Because it keeps me fit both physically and mentally.

John Lennon - Mind Games - https://youtu.be/zge6UEwUGn0

From a very early age I enjoyed LEGO and I still do. This year, DJ Declutr, surprised me with the LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar. It's been a hoot so far with a fairly groovy range of mini figures and small models to build on a daily basis. I do have rather a lot of Star Wars LEGO though and one day soon I'll need to think about moving it on. It's probably the same for the bulk of my other collectables. I've had a lot of fun with them but times change. For those that have been in my "studio", there's no need to worry; I'm not throwing it all out!

Jeff Lynne's ELO - When I Was A Boy - https://youtu.be/tM34A80RTv4

That'll do for this week. Thank you to all of you out there in internet-land who read this and a special "hats-off" to those who send me comments, suggestions and/or anecdotes. I'm always interested to hear about the effect that certain songs have on people. An FYI, Christmas Carols make me cringe. I don't know why, they just do. Tune in next time for what looks like being a bumper episode.

Mi wisim yufala evriwan wan gudfala Krismas!

Rob

Fine then...click here for a Christmas tune. It's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment