Saturday, April 9, 2016

World Wide Woozle #397

Episode 397...soon it'll be time to change things up around here...watch this space in a few weeks. Until then stay tuned for the standard range of blethering from yours truly.

Tropical Cyclone Zena passed through the northern parts of Vanuatu this week. Northern Pentecost, where one of our families lives, was hit quite hard; worse than they were impacted by TC Pam. My brother Godden reports that everyone is ok and they have a lot of cleaning up to do now. It's heartbreaking to be sitting at home hearing this.

In other sad news, Merle Haggard died this week at age 79. The story goes that he got into playing music seriously as a prison inmate after seeing Johnny Cash perform at San Quentin Prison in 1958. He went on to be a true superstar with his rough around the edges delivery and songs in contrast to much of the polished and corporate country and western fare.

Merle Haggard - Working Man Blues (live) - https://youtu.be/fbEstJ98TcM

A while ago I stumbled across UK band Lux Lisbon. Like quite a lot of artists these days they are totally self-funded and independent. When they mentioned that they would put their latest release out on vinyl if enough people committed to buying a copy I jumped on board. The record arrived last week and it's great! You can get digital versions too here. If you like bands like The Killers, Duran Duran, Big Country or Florence & The Machine then this should be on your playlist. This one reminds me of King Cannons a bit...

Lux Lisbon - Show The Money - https://youtu.be/769pUebPW2E

Digital radio wins again this week. I head the next song and instantly wrote it's title and artist down in my notebook so that I wouldn't forget it. I think that she sings a little like Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders but the musical style is different. This track is a bit indie-pop and a bit Sheryl Crow. The bass bubbles along nicely and I like the melody. If anyone out there has any pointers in terms of things from Aimee that I should listen to please feel free to let me know.

Aimee Mann - Freeway - https://youtu.be/TQF5CXV9cos

The band is playing on Tuesday May 3rd to help launch George's new book, "Big Life". As a result I've been rehearsing a few Midnight Oil songs that I haven't played in a while. Absence certainly does make the heart grow fonder. I've been a bit of a guitar rut for a while but running through the set we'll be rocking out with on the night made me feel really good. It's a free show with loads of other cool stuff going on. Rumours that I am on the cover of the book may or may not be true so come along and find out! And yeah....we're still sorry.

Midnight Oil - Best of Both Worlds (live 2009)  - https://youtu.be/YSagT7MLqSU

Apparently the Rolling Stones have recorded some of a new album...interesting...

There you go. Short and to the point.

Rock on,
Rob




No comments:

Post a Comment