Friday, September 18, 2015

Song of the Week #366

Hurrah! It's the leap year episode!

I got excited today when I saw a tweet about Icehouse's new album. This was tempered by the fact that it's not a new studio release but rather a live album. Regardless, they're still a great band.

Icehouse - We Can Get Together (live) - https://youtu.be/atrHBO15WOA

The new Ghost album is a cracker. A completely insane cross between Black Sabbath and the Scooby Doo theme song. I've been listening to it on and off for a few weeks now and it continues to grow on me. The film clip for the next tune is really well made, creepy in all the right ways and also a lot of fun. It's almost the logical extension of Iron Maiden's cheesy clip for "Number of the Beast".

Ghost - From The Pinnacle To The Pit - https://youtu.be/6A-IoOEPbUs

Vintage Trouble had one of the best debut albums in a very, very long time. They followed it up touring the world with the likes of The Who, Bon Jovi and now AC/DC. If you look around at any live footage then you'll be in no doubt that they are a high energy band who engage with their audiences really well. As a result of this I'd been waiting rather impatiently for their second album...and it's here. 1 Hopeful Road is the name of the record and....well...it's kinda slow and laid back. It's the kind of record for a lazy Sunday afternoon and I'm rather disappointed. Having said that, I really hope they tour down here with AC/DC. It's not a bad album, I just wish the whole thing was more upbeat, like this particular track from it...

Vintage Trouble - Run Baby Run - https://youtu.be/GvjMqxGyuDo

I read an interesting article this week about Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre. The fact that they are pouring money into a university to encourage innovation, arts and technology is rather amazing, $70 million is a large chunk of change. You should investigate both men even if you think Beats headphones are a gimmick, they both have impressive resumes.

NWA - Express Yourself - https://youtu.be/u31FO_4d9TY

The new album from American thrash pioneers Slayer is called Repentless. It's their first after the death of guitarist and founding member Jeff Hanneman. If you're not a fan of the band then I doubt this release will change that. It's heavy, powerful, aggressive and pretty much everything you'd expect from them. For a band that have been kicking around since the 80s this long player is more energetic than a whole tribe of Eveready Bunnies. I'm really impressed. I've listened free and legal via Spotify for a week now and I'll be happy to plonk down hard earned cash for a physical copy. Tom Arya's voice holds up well for a man in his mid 50's who has spent the last 30 odd years screaming his lungs out. He can't scream as much these days and that suits me just fine! There isn't a lot other than the title track online and I've already played that here. Let's go for a classic tune...with a twist...

Sam Westphalen - Seasons In The Abyss - https://youtu.be/k5SpXvRbJPc

Betcha didn't see that coming! How good is he?? Wow!

DJ KatesDad let me know that David Gilmour has just released a new album. You remember Dave from a little band called Pink Floyd right? It's called "Rattle That Lock" and I'll check it out during the week....see what you think...

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock - https://youtu.be/L1v7hXEQhsQ

Oh, if you remember last week I said I'd review a guy called Romeo Crow. But his spamalot approach to email and social media has got right under my skin so his stuff is on the backburner. It's not bad, I just don't need to be told about it all the time.

Last week I was pretty upset about our gig having to be cancelled. I'd invested quite a large chunk of my week off in rehearsing loads of songs. Practice is always a good thing but there was other things I could've been doing. We were also disappointed as the money from ticket sales was going 100% to support our friends at Crossing the Divide. As I said, we'll continue to support CTD. Their work is too important for a cancelled gig to get me down for long.

Billy Bragg - Days Like These - https://youtu.be/mAjFO61ndLc

Good luck to DJ HB as she races the Canberra Cycling Tour this weekend. It's all part of her road to the Rio Olympics. If I cross any more fingers and toes I may end up with a strange medical condition!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Oh....mamak Zoƫ!!

Rob

"...we can't move ahead if we're looking behind...," Mississippi, It's Time", Steve Earle, 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment