Friday, May 2, 2014

Song of the Week #296

"The time has come, to say fair's fair, to pay the rent, to pay our share..." For the boys in the band, the time has come to play some Midnight Oil tunes. Tomorrow night is gig number 1 at Vivaldi's. The last rehearsal was fabulous, the tickets are sold and in a few hours we'll hit the stage. I can't wait! Thanks to all that are coming either tomorrow night or next week. And a special big shout out to DJ Grumpa who has come along. The last time he saw me play in a rock band was at my 21st birthday (last year).

My aim this week was to choose three songs that regular listeners would find unfamiliar. My listening fare this week has meant that I'll succeed with two out of three. Meatloaf would say that ain't bad.

Let's start with Lupe Fiasco. Wow, I can already visualise some of you out there rolling your eyes in a commendable impression of a teenager, but bear with me please. I was watching a music TV channel (free to air, I'm no fatcat!) out of the corner of my eye. Whilst the tune didn't really hook me the main lyric and the clip certainly did. It's about skateboarding but really it's more about community, freedom and doing something you love with good people. That's a bit like cycling to me.

Kick Push - Lupe Fiasco - http://youtu.be/Gl83mI69nX4

iTunes radio turned me on to the next band. Karnivool have been around since 1997 and they are from Perth (the one in Australia). You could describe their music as "prog" but that might be a bit limiting. The few tunes I have tried out vary quite a bit. But if you do like prog rock or metal and you're relatively open minded then give it a go. It's interesting stuff and I'll check out some more of their music next week.

Karnivool - We Are - http://youtu.be/V_E5ae9ZTwk

If you were a music fan in 1987 you couldn't have missed the rock 'n' roll explosion that was Guns 'n' Roses. Their first album "Appetite for Destruction" has long been considered a seminal work by critics and music fans alike. But I've never really liked it. There's no doubt that there are great singles on the LP but as a listen from start to finish I've never really enjoyed it. I have been back a few times to check that I wasn't missing something but have never been convinced. This week a track from the album rolled around on a random playlist I had going. That made me have another spin of the record. And it clicked. Maybe it was my state of mind or just the alignment of the planets - who knows?! The music is rough and abrasive, the lyrics well crafted and delivered with a snarl, a sneer and some real attitude. And the guitars are percussive and bruising without being harsh. It's the whole package. Here's the track that made me turn the corner (language warning on this one)...

Guns 'n' Roses - You're Crazy - http://youtu.be/17VoLFFKL0U

My view is that really that's the only GnR album worth a listen. The "Lies" EP is pretty good too as are a few other tracks but they never re-captured the magic of that stellar debut. Duff, Slash and Izzy (all former members these days) all have really good solo albums. Izzy's bluesy reggae tinges work is a favourite of mine and we'll hear some next week.

Finally a word on my Song of the Week side project. It's up and running in beta! I have two guinea pigs, er, um, volunteers and the results should be online for you all to sample in a few weeks.

That'll do.

DJ Rob

"Well me and the boys
Are out to have some fun
Gonna put on a show
Come on, let's go" - AC/DC - There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' (1976)


No comments:

Post a Comment