Friday, April 5, 2013

Song of the Week #240

Hi everyone,
Apologies for the lateness of this episode and the brevity as well. There's been a lot going on in WoozleLand.
I need to make you aware of a band I've only just come across. I'm 99% sure that their image is a huge joke. But regardless of their questionable lyrics the music is fabulous. I described it during the week to a friend as a cross between Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate and the Dr Who theme song. Maybe a bit of Iron Butterfly in there too. The band's outrageous bio and the fact that none of them will reveal their true identities just firms my opinion that it's a huge PR job.
Ghost BC – Genesis - http://youtu.be/lKwK6NSWthI
Just to counter Ghost's lyrical stance, you might be interested in some extended thoughts that I put down about the Christian Heavy Metal band, Stryper. They are here.
Stryper have a new album and it's pretty good. In fact it's great. They always rock hard and are great musicians. So are this next band, in a very different way. Releasing their first studio album in thirteen years are the seminal skate-punk band Suicidal Tendencies. Don't let the name put you off, they're not encouraging self harm, in fact usually the complete opposite. Try this excellent track from the new LP. It rocks, it grooves and it certainly makes me tap my foot.
Suicidal Tendencies – Shake It Out - http://youtu.be/zSLu9WQEZGI
Sometimes songs just stick in my head for days. This one did that this week. I tried hard to get it to move on but on my Thursday and Friday cycling efforts it seemed like my mind was stuck on repeat. Lucky it's a good song I guess. Any song that uses the name of the writer's home town is cool, but when you can manage to fit "Te Awamutu" into the lyrics you must be special...
Crowded House – Mean To Me - http://youtu.be/6YURW5ANGig
Sad news this week with Chris Bailey from The Angels passing away. He was the bass player for six of their albums.
The Angels – Marseilles - http://youtu.be/JIIZhWCtKHw
Congrats to Andy and his band EXP for successful gigs at the Royal Easter Show – I've seen some footage and this is a great band!
Just before I close, a huge welcome to the wordl to William James Pollock. In October 2011 we went to Jacqui and Will's wedding and now they've added to their family with a beautiful baby boy. I hope that you all get plenty of sleep and have great lives together. This is a song that, as the Best Man, I quoted at DJ Duck and MC FatBoy's wedding. It seems very appropriate now as well. A lot might go on in life but really, happiness boils down to one simple thing...
The Beatles – All You Need Is Love - http://youtu.be/jJ98qac2UIM
Thanks for reading and listening.
DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment