Sunday, January 8, 2017

World Wide Woozle episode #411

Gud moning. Olsem wanem? (good morning, how's things?)

Yesterday I had a rather enjoyable trundle around the Cotter/Uriarra loop with Roger and Andy. That is until my gears stopped shifting properly. It's pretty hilly out there and I can't say that I enjoyed not having access to the easiest gear whilst climbing. Apparently bicycles are fairly simple mechanical pieces of equipment. Armed with YouTube tutorials, instructions, tools and a healthy dose of confidence I decided to adjust the gears myself last night. This morning my bike is at the shop for the professionals to deal with it. Will I ever learn? Probably not.

Luxembourg - Sick of DIY - https://youtu.be/IBScLoplDnw

Going back to work right at the start of January is always interesting. You'd think that there would be a little quiet time that could be used for planning, getting control of the inbox and generally setting up for the year ahead. Not so it seems. Week 1 of 2017 was as busy as usual. Luckily DJ Jewel-E sent me photos from her days at the cricket to make me smile.

Giuda - Working Class Man - https://youtu.be/zFmZnAFW2_c

The rock musical, "Rock of Ages", remains one of my favourite films. If you need a laugh and a good singalong then it's tops. There are quite a few cool cameos in it including Debbie Gibson, Nuno Bettencourt and Sebastian Bach. But there was one guy I kept seeing who I was sure I knew. After watching live footage of the stage show, as opposed to the film, I spotted him in there as well. Joel Hoekstra plays guitar in the stage show as well as with bands like Night Ranger and Trans Siberian Orchestra. He's the guy in the next clip with the Les Paul Goldtop guitar. How much fun would it be playing all those classic rock bits in "Rock of Ages"??!

Night Ranger - Knock Knock Never Stop - https://youtu.be/-QuwO05QABM

Cold Chisel recently released the third in a series of live recordings. This one is from 1980 at the Manly Vale Hotel. The sound is really good quality and Chisel were a great live band who usually avoid the three or four chord repetition that some pub rock relies on. There are some bum notes and rough bits but this is a warts and all live gig played by musicians on real instruments. No-one was turning up to see a guy and his laptop.

Cold Chisel - Home & Broken Hearted (live 1980) - https://youtu.be/_xtrTc-q14o

A few years ago we went to see Russell Morris play. His alsum, "Van Diemen's Land", was a recent release and it was a cracker (and well promoted). Anhyoo, the gig was fantastic and the album remains one of my firm favourites. I spotted the vinyl version on sale yesterday and just couldn't resist. Russell is a great story teller and lyricist and there's always something to think about or look into after listening to his songs.

Russell Morris - Van Diemen's Land - https://youtu.be/V2O8upNpo-0

I have to say that $40 for the latest Billy Bragg LP was a bit steep. It's still on the rack at the shop.

Sting has a new album. Well released in November last year so still pretty new. To tell the truth I'm not sure I even gave it half a moment's thought as I didn't really think I needed to listen to his more recent brand of relatively slow, bland, ethereal music. It's his thing and I get that but it's not for me. "57th & 9th" isn't like that. There are quieter songs sure but Sting lets it rip a few times in a way that really makes me tap my foot and remember his rock and roll pedigree. Lovely blue Telecaster in there as well....

Sting - I Can't Stop Thinking About You - https://youtu.be/ZtEIuz71tEk

I sold a guitar. Yeah, yeah, I know I said I wouldn't do it again but I did. The rather gorgeous Reverend V shaped guitar has gone. It has a new home in Geelong and the guy I sold it to, who it turned out that my Dad knew, is very happy with it. So, I've been saving hard as well and it's almost time to start looking for something else and I'm going to be super choosy as I'm in no rush. I love my black Stratocaster so much that it hurts. IT's the best electric guitar I've ever played and my other axes rarely get a look in. But I've always loved red guitars. SGs, 335s, Strats in red or cherry, they're the best. I'm going to hunt down a late 80s or early 90s red USA Stratocaster if I can; pretty much the doppelganger of my original electric guitar. It has to be special, it has to feel right and it has to sound, well, like a Strat should. Strats quack on the bridge pickup and have the famous "woman tone" at the neck with everything in between. Let the madness begin! If you want to know who to blame for this red obsession then watch some videos with Mark Knopfler, Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix or Hank Marvin in them...

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (live 1979) - https://youtu.be/AaAE33rMTSk

Dire Straits & Hank Marvin - Going Home (live 1985) - https://youtu.be/SyyxOxjT4qQ

That's it for another episode. Keep smiling and rock on brothers and sisters!

Rob

Need more? Click this. One of the best versions of this song ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment