Friday, December 1, 2017

World Wide Woozle episode #429

Coming back to your regular life after a holiday is never easy. I've also discovered that the upset stomach side effect of the anti-malaria medication well and truly applies to me! As regular readers will know, I've struggled in the past with wanting to do too much for my families in Vanuatu. Finding the balance is a real challenge. Deep inside I've had a feeling for years now that I could do more with my life and it's much more evident at the moment. I recognise that I haven't exactly been sitting on my hands for the last 46 years but maybe it's time to do something a bit more long term. Of course, I have no idea what that is or how it might work so watch this space. What I do know is that there is a lot of the world that I haven't seen and that I could be useful in. I guess my experiences in Vanuatu have made me understand the benefit of moving out of my comfort zone and that even one person can make a positive impact. I've got itchy feet...

Battlefield Band - The Rovin' Dies Hard - https://youtu.be/9qZZ01RFf_Q

Let's talk about Christmas. What I want to think about for a few moments is the rampant consumerism and excess that has come to define celebrations at this time of the year. Maybe it's Alison's influence but more and more I think about the fact that we could live happily with less "stuff". Giving and receiving gifts is lovely but there's a limit. Recently we took boxes and boxes of books to a local charity who run a regular book fair. For years I'd held onto particular literary gems simply because they were gifts or they'd not been cheap. The ruthless cull and knowledge that someone else would enjoy them as well as the charity raising valuable funds made for a good feeling. I'm not advocating emptying the house out completely but there is a fair bit of stuff lying around that I'm unlikely to use again. Don't be a Scrooge though...Christmas presents, as well as family time, is important for kids!

One thing I do have a lot of is CDs, records and tapes. That's unlikely to change. Until I can carry them around on a device that doesn't require compromise in terms of sound quality I will remain a huge fan of physical audio media. I admit that I do buy less these days and Spotify is to 'blame' for that.

Cliff Richard - Wired For Sound - https://youtu.be/V57eqtN2K7E

Before the internet, shortwave (SW) radio was a very important part of many peoples' lives. It was a way to get up to date news from around the World for many of us. Shortwave broadcasts remain the only media link to the outside world that many people in developing nations or remote locations have. Radio Australia, for reasons best known to the ABC, don't broadcast SW any more into the Pacific or remote Australia. This is a crying shame. On Pentecost, with a cheap SW radio, I was able to listen to Radio NZ, Voice of America, Beijing Radio and a couple of others. Radio Australia used to be well listened to across the Pacific for news as well as emergency notices for things such as cyclones. I admit that I need a better receiver if I go anywhere else but it does irk me that the ABC have cut off what was a valuable service to the Pacific and remote Australia.

James Reyne and James Blundell - Way Out West - https://youtu.be/xB2fhqO2Mb4

John Bush sang for US thrash metal band Anthrax for a while replacing original vocalist Joey Belladonna. Joey's back these days and personally I wish Bush had been able to stay on. This week DJ NinjaRollins turned me onto John's original (and current) band Armored Saint. It's good. It's really, really good. He has to be one of the few metal vocalists around whose range and voice hold up after a number of years. Maybe he looked after it really well or perhaps he was just lucky. Here's John with Anthrax and then back with Armored Saint. Turn this up!

Anthrax - Cadillac Rock Box - https://youtu.be/hll2kQXloz4

Armored Saint - Win Hands Down - https://youtu.be/MA-C8_zgLXo

The ABC, when they aren't mucking around with the shortwave broadcast, have a done a great job with the current two part biopic about The Easybeats. With the recent death of founder, guitarist and songwriter George Young awareness of the band is heightened of course. Episode one is on ABC iView for those of you in Australia who have missed it. I'd highly recommend it as a decent look at how rock and roll came of age here as well as an insight into a fantastic band. Let me also say that the actor portraying Stevie Wright has obviously studied loads of old footage as his moves are spot on.

The Easybeats - I'll Make You Happy - https://youtu.be/eS7uMy8z6i4?t=2m5s

News of impending torrential rains around the country has the media in a spin. Frankly I'll be happy to get home this evening without resorting to SCUBA gear or a canoe. Some places have forecasts of their monthly rainfall coming in just a couple of days. Most of Australia can always do with some rain but this much may simply be damaging. And in a moment of pure selfishness, it gets in the way of cycling. Even with significant time off the bike this year I am almost on target to hit 12,000km by the end of December. Let's hope that the rains don't do too much damage and that slightly obsessive cyclists everywhere can get their fix without packing a snorkel.

Dragon - Rain (live 1985) - https://youtu.be/P67qfkhBy1E?t=4m34s

Lastly; a sad moment. My Auntie Maureen passed away early this week. She wasn't old and she wasn't sick and that makes it hard for everyone. I guess it's just one of those things. My heart goes out to my Dad, her only sibling and to my cousin Graeme who is her only child. I haven't seen her since we left Scotland in the late 1970s and now I'm kicking myself that I haven't ever been back. I'm glad that Alison got to meet Mo a few years ago and that Zoe was there in 2015. When my Granny died a couple of years ago Mo told me not to be sad because she'd had a very full and meaningful life and the same applies now. At the moment I'm very much feeling the fact that life really is short.

Johnny Cash - We'll Meet Again - https://youtu.be/KodNFsP6r88

Stay dry folks,

Rob

"Well you ask me why I like to dance
And you ask me why I like to sing
And you ask me why I like to play
I got to get my kicks some way
And you ask me what I'm all about
Come and let me hear you shout..." - AC/DC, High Voltage, 1975.

No comments:

Post a Comment