Friday, March 11, 2016

World Wide Woozle #393

Sunday is the 13th of March. On the 13th of March last year Tropical Cyclone Pam hit Vanuatu and changed my life forever. I get the feeling that Zoë had already had her heart stolen by the Ni-Van people but her experience in that natural disaster and what followed made me an immeasurably better person. I'll admit that I am often tortured that there is only so much I can do to support my adopted families there. It's no secret that before the cyclone I wasn't keen at all to visit. I don't like camping and I knew that life there was fairly basic. But after Pam had wreaked havoc I felt that I had no choice but to go to Pentecost to thank the people that had, in my view, saved Zoë's life. Everyone reading this knows what happened to me on Pentecost in that I was welcomed with open arms into some local families and they became intertwined in my life. Zoë and I are heading back for a few weeks in July to visit, help in schools where we can and just be with our families. I guess with Zoë surviving the Cyclone and then finally being able to return in a helicopter to deliver aid to her village that I might have had my share of miracles and good fortune but if I could have one more it would be that Alison will eventually be physically able to come one day. There are people there desperate to meet her. I've said enough about Vanuatu for this week; I hope you all understand what I'm, rather clumsily, trying to say.

Iggy Pop has a new album to be release on the 18th of this month. "Post Pop Depression" sees the 68 year old punk and rock legend teaming up with most of Queens of the Stone Age. There are a couple of tracks now available for a listen and I think that if you like Iggy that you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Iggy Pop - Sunday - https://youtu.be/zMBQMQfrPso

Ted Nugent has a big mouth. He does, however, play a mean guitar and has written some rather good songs. Let's leave his politics at the door and listen to him play...it's worth it!

Ted Nugent - Stranglehold (live) - https://youtu.be/kiGhE6EVViw

George Martin died this week. There isn't much I can write that someone else hasn't already said about George. He predicted the first tune that the Beatles recorded with him would be a hit and it was...just for someone else! This one came next and did rather well I'm told. You may know it!

The Beatles - Please Please Me - https://youtu.be/Oe-BPE5ilR0

Also passing away this week was Australian music legend John English. I think the last time I saw him was doing Pirates of Penzance. If I'd seen him doing that when I was a kid then I may not have dropped out of that particular production at school!

Jon English - Some People Have All The Fun - https://youtu.be/awz4rMBiBvU

I'm torn. I've just got into this band called Ancient Warlocks who are out of Seattle in the USA. They have a new album coming out on vinyl but the pressing is quite limited and to secure a pre-order copy I'll need to get out of bed at 4am on Sunday morning because of the time difference. 4am is very early for rock and roll. I'll think about it. Oh....the band name....I know nothing but I assume sometime they must've been Dungeons and Dragons players! For fans of Kyuss, Monster Magnet and Witchskull.

Ancient Warlocks - Lion Storm - https://youtu.be/BtAFvpt3dUY

Hinds are an indie-rock band from Spain. I know nothing else about them other than I've been listening to their latest release, "Leave Me Alone", and it's quite good. Lo-fi almost garage rock might be a fair description. If you like Weezer or Pavement this might appeal to you.


Why not have another band that I've only just come across? It's a great song with tasty, twangy guitars, a good melody and lyrics you can understand. Three ticks.

Imperial State Electric - All Over My Head - https://youtu.be/uLWdh5o5QjY

That's it for this week. Plenty of music there to keep you occupied. Drop me an email sometime with a suggestion for the next few weeks. 

Rob



No comments:

Post a Comment