Sunday, February 28, 2016

Song of the Week #392

Yeah, yeah, yeah....it's very late. Sorry.

It's been a huge week at work and it took all of my mental energy. Now on Sunday evening I'm at the point where I think I'm ready to put coherent thoughts together for you all.

Last week I mentioned Lady Gaga and her tribute to David Bowie. Here's another one and it's better. I guess the fact that Lorde is backed by Bowie's band helps out a lot but in my opinion she puts in a great vocal performance. Perhaps a little nervous to begin with but that's hardly a shock given the gravity of the occasion.

Lorde - David Bowie live tribute - https://youtu.be/C7l3y7LOzLc?t=8m42s

Some metal bands in the 80s were apparently so over the top that parents, school officials and various organisations feared for our young minds. WASP were one of those bands. I remember picking up an ex-radio station copy of their album, "Inside The Electric Circus" in Wellington somewhere. The station must've loved WASP because the vinyl untouched. Personally I think that some of their lyrical content is questionable but as rock musicians they know their craft. Blackie Lawless has a murderous voice that never gives up and their sound is quite distinctive. Good fun heavy metal and I think that I'm still a reasonably balanced individual.

WASP - Inside The Electric Circus - https://youtu.be/JTLHpd-5Qgw

Staying with metal just for a minute, Ozzy Osbourne released a concert from 1982 a while ago. Filmed not long after the death of guitar legend, Randy Rhoads, this concert features Brad Gillis (Night Ranger) doing an excellent job especially when you know the small amount of time he had to get up to speed with a complex repertoire. It's no secret that Ozzy's vocals have been re-dubbed but it doesn't really detract from the show too much. The few tracks I have watched are energetic and the sound is pretty good considering when it was made. Video quality is average but far from dreadful.

Ozzy Osbourne - Steal Away (The Night) live 1982 - https://youtu.be/PGiEg1LGjd4

When rap music was interesting...and that's a while ago now...I had an interest in bands and artists like Ice-T, NWA, Public Enemy and a few others. I almost met Public Enemy in Brisbane either at the end of 1989 or 1990. They were just out walking around in town and there was only a small group talking to them. I can't say they were difficult to recognise....Favor Flav was wearing the big clock and all! But when I got close some of that small crowd pushed me away remarking that "white boys" weren't welcome. It was the crowd, not the band saying that. Anyway, there's a bio-drama out about the history of NWA called, "Straight Outta Compton". I've picked up a copy and after I've had a chance to watch all 146 minutes of the feature I'll report back.

NWA - Express Yourself - https://youtu.be/gjHkS3AcdtQ

Bob Marley is great. I don't listen to him all that much I must admit but when the mood takes me, and it has lately, it's great music if you're in need of a boost.

Bob Marley - Stir It Up (live 1973) - https://youtu.be/51pxEO1HX3A

Preparations for the ride I'm going on later in March are well underway. It's a 170km epic with 2000m of climbing. That's not a cycle that you just head out and do on a whim and I've been working to a plan. Today was a long ride; 150km. Generally I was pretty happy with it having my hydration and nutrition sorted out. The aftermath of my 130km ride two weeks ago wasn't pretty! Most of my long rides are planned around not having to stop too often (for traffic lights etc.) as well as the fact that the route has to include places that I can get water resupplies! Next weekend I'll go further again I hope and then back off before the event itself. I'm glad I don't have a swim and a run to contend with as well!

Andy Prieboy - On The Road Again - https://youtu.be/GSwTO0kLQbY

That'll do. Bedtime for me and my tired legs.

Rob

Trust me....come on...just one click for another song. One for all you xenophobes...and for the one or two students of my guitar tone!

No comments:

Post a Comment