Monday, September 28, 2015

Song of the Week #367

Where do I even begin? This episode is a full two days late. My apologies to those listeners who have spent all weekend jonesing for a fix of the World Wide Woozle's peculiar brand of musical recommendations, news, insights and blethering. But I've been a little distracted and then rather busy. Seatbelts on folks; here we go!

It was a sad week in one way for the Marshall family. My Granny, in Scotland, passed away after more than 90 years of a well lived life. We're left with wonderful memories of a strong-willed woman who, even after a stroke, refused to be slowed down. One of my favourite memories was when my Grandparents were visiting us here in Australia. We were off somewhere in the car and I put a head-cleaning tape into the car cassette deck. It made a horrible noise. My Gran, upon realising that it was in fact not music, told us that she thought I'd said I was playing a "head banger". Ha ha! I haven't seen my Granny since Angus was born but I'm very glad that Alison saw her a few years ago in Scotland and that Zoƫ was with her only a few weeks ago.

The Corries - Bring Back My Granny To Me - https://youtu.be/Jgv8nzwvIGM

On Saturday the band drove for about 7 hours (each way) to play a show in Coonabarabran. We were asked to open a new functions centre for the Warrumbungles Mountain Motel. It's a long way to go for a show and you can see some photos of the trip here. I have to thank the hardy souls who drove from Canberra and Tingha to see us play there; that's an amazing effort and rather humbling. But here's a lesson for anyone booking a show in country NSW...the Rugby League finals on TV attract a huge crowd. We played to a small but energetic and appreciative audience. It's always good to play to a sold out venue but the reality is that it won't always happen. This was one of those times but it reminded me of why I really like the Australian rock band the Choirboys. I went to see them years ago on a Sunday evening. There were maybe 30 people in the crowd. They could've grumbled or cancelled the show but they came out and gave it 100%; it was fabulous. We did the same on Saturday...gave it our all and as a result had a great time playing some cool songs. I doubt I'd drive that far again for a small crowd but when you're there you do your best. Kudos to everyone in the band for doing the same.

Choirboys - Rendezvous - https://youtu.be/Ph-U2lLpITU

To be clear, I think that Taylor Swift's most recent album, 1989, is a killer. So it was with interest that I read about Ryan Adams track by track cover version of the whole record. Ryan is firmly in the American alt-Country genre (at least to my ears). I've only had a couple of listens so far but what I have to say is that if I didn't know the songs already I'd think it was a "return to form" by Bruce Springsteen. Yep, Ryan makes Taylor sound like The River/Nebraska era Bruce. 

Ryan Adams - How You Get The Girl - https://youtu.be/OhSbDHhwM7k

I had a good chuckle when I read a message online from Jason Isbell. He said that if Adams was covering 1989 then he'd be covering Van Helen's 1984. Can't wait!

Van Halen - Top Jimmy - https://youtu.be/d681GuMZj6Y

H, TrumpetBoy and I had a couple of listens through the latest Isbell release going to and from Coona. It was a pretty good soundtrack for long, straight, empty roads through rural Australia. We were surrounded by fields of canola which glowed as if the sun was shining out of the ground. After spending a while now with that particular album I think it is as good as Southeastern but quite different. It's much less bleak for a start. I'm not usually that interested in what the keyboard player is doing on a country style album unless it's a really nice Hammond sound or a honky tonk piano but there is a lot of really neat stuff going on in the background on this record. It's definitely one to have a good listen to through headphones. 

Jason Isbell - 24 Frames (live) - https://youtu.be/n7tSrGUWbEw

We played this next song on Saturday night. I don't like it because most people screaming out the lyrics have no idea what it's about. It's a bit like listeners completely misunderstanding Springsteen's track Born In The USA. When you hear Don Walker, who wrote the song, playing it his way then it morphs from a beer soaked bogan anthem into the song it should be. Try it out and see what you think.

Don Walker - Khe Sanh - https://youtu.be/up091fICRC8

The Electric Light Orchestra have a new album coming very soon. The first single is out and is pretty true to style. 15 years is a long time between records even though Jeff Lynne is involved in a number of projects. I quite like this song and if the album also contains some of his trademark rockers then it could be good.

ELO - When I Was A Boy - https://youtu.be/dfH8EJA-hg0

Well, it's a public holiday here in Canberra. The sun is out and that seems like a perfect moment to leave you and get out on my bike. Sorry for making you all wait for this week's episode.

Rob

"...put on your red shoes and dance the blues...", Let's Dance, David Bowie, 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment