Friday, September 11, 2015

Song of the Week #365

Starting a new job isn't something you'd want to do all that often in my opinion. I started a new one on Tuesday this week. Whilst I am very, very happy with people, the location and the work it's come to Friday and my brain is spinning; probably in both ways at once. There is a lot to be getting on with. I had a good feeling about this organisation from the moment I applied for the job. This was confirmed in the two interviews I had and then this week. In short, I'm stoked but I'm stuffed!

King Cannons - Stand Right Up - https://youtu.be/zIO7EgLoKiI

It was nothing short of amazing to see our Prime Minister bow to public and I assume party pressure with regards to Australia taking 12,000 Syrian refugees in on top of our normal yearly quota. I will admit that I am amazed that some these people as a threat. Assuming that the appropriate screening is in place then we are in the position to make a huge difference to 12,000 people who have, quite understandably, fled from terror. The battle against religious extremists in the Middle East is difficult and there are no easy solutions. I am glad that those strong enough to stand up against ISIS are making the attempt. Without wanting to appear cynical or ungrateful though, where DID our Government find $700 million to pay for all this?

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Taxman - https://youtu.be/djPRz4rnm8I

The new iPhone was announced this week. There are few, if any, surprises. I wouldn't waste your money unless you've got a ton to throw around for no good reason. My new work provides a Nokia Windows phone. It's a bit of a learning curve but the software is quick and easy to use. The sound quality is also much better than my iPhone when making calls. But then who uses a mobile phone for calls unless it's an emergency? What the Windows phone reminded me was that you don't need today's latest and most expensive handset...

Madonna - Material Girl - https://youtu.be/DNSUOFgj97M

Fans of the band I play in will no doubt be disappointed to have heard during the week that our gig this Saturday has been cancelled. We're quite gutted as it was a fundraiser to support our friends doing such good work with indigenous young men at the Crossing The Divide program. We'll continue to support CTD into the future. I guess it's a reality that no matter how hard you practice or how much energy you put into a live show that every gig isn't going to be sold out. When the gig is all about people who need our help though the cancellation hurts.

The Clash - Career Opportunities - https://youtu.be/MsE5NAAU39k

We're playing in Coonabarabran on September 26th. This will be our last show under the moniker "George Huitker & Junk Sculpture". The band has plans that include original songs and some recording. Playing covers is a lot of fun and I'm sure we'll still do it but the focus will be a little different. Watch this space after the Coona show for more information. As I said to George earlier in the week; we're a band that wants to make sure your half-empty glass gets filled up.

AC/DC - If You Want Blood (You've Got It) - https://youtu.be/6EWqTym2cQU

On Sunday we played a low key show at a local coffee shop. Other than the fact that the venue owner hadn't told his staff that we were coming it went pretty well. Many thanks to those who came along to listen and also to support our friends in Vanuatu. We raised enough money to allow us to send one community a video camera which is something they have been thinking about for a long time. Whilst the show was more about saying thank you to those that have helped us in the past than raising money I can assure you that it is very much appreciated. Every cent goes to Vanuatu.

And here's a song that I'm playing just because I think it's a really good version of a classic. T-Rex boogie is tops, this is pretty cool too.

The Power Station - Get It On (Bang A Gong) - https://youtu.be/O2vHbXI2p4k

Due to the international date line I don't get to listen to the new Slayer album for a few hours yet. More about that as well as an internet guy called Romeo Crow next time on the Woozle Show. I might even get a look at the brand new live ELO DVD. Finally, the latest Vintage Trouble CD has arrived in the mail, I imagine I'll be on a rhythm and blues trip all weekend.

Bye,
Rob

"...you don't have to live like a refugee...", Refugee, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 1980.


No comments:

Post a Comment