Friday, April 11, 2014

Song of the Week #293

With  only a few weeks to go until I hit 300 episodes there are changes afoot here at the World Wide Woozle. For a start I'm going to focus a little more on why I've chosen the tunes and perhaps the artists as well. For a while at least there may be a few less songs but quite possibly just as much to read. If you don't like it then tell me. If you do then I'd love to know as well. You'll read more about other changes in the weeks to come. I can also promise some bumper "side editions" as I'm on holidays for a couple of weeks. These will appear in the blog (www.robwoozle.blogspot.com) and if you're subscribed to that you'll see them as well as via notifications on Facebook and Twitter (@robwoozle),

A quick update on the saga of my old red guitar. I went and collected it today. The repair guy (Nick at Better Music, Canberra) has been great. He's kept me informed via phone and email at every step and has answered all my questions with good grace and humour. Anyway, when I picked it up he plugged it into a rather tasty Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amp and turned it up LOUD. Yep, it sounded great. I'm hoping that the guitar and my small amplifier will fit in the car to go away - I've got loads of tasty Strat style songs just itching to be played!

So, for song number one this week we'll have one of the masters of the Stratocaster. I once played in a band with a guy who could play almost anything Stevie Ray Vaughan did seemingly without effort. It was a joy to play rhythm behind him. My love of SRV started way back in the early 90s and continues to this day. In terms of a tasteful blues player they don't come much better. Really any of his albums is a good starting point but 1989's "In Step" is probably the best in terms of production, consistency and great playing. Stevie was sober for that album...but for none of the previous ones.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Crossfire - http://youtu.be/ZPBRzwIjgv4

My second song this week comes from John Cougar Mellencamp. I've played in bands that have played a couple of his songs, usually "Jack & Dianne" or "Lonely Old Night". But when I started hanging around with DJ Al-ee-Sun she had a copy of his "Scarecrow" album. It's a great listen from start to finish. If you like good honest rock 'n' roll with lyrics about real people and a tinge of country then you won't be disappointed. If, like me, you love the sound of guitars played straight through a classic amplifier without much high tech wizardry then, again, give it a spin.

John Cougar Mellencamp - Rain On The Scarecrow - http://youtu.be/joNzRzZhR2Y

Finally we have Gary Moore. I went back this week and watched his live DVD which was a tribute to Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott. Gary played with Thin Lizzy for a while and then became a rock god and then a blues genius later on. Sadly he died in his early 50s. The DVD showcases his beautiful thick bluesy guitar tone and tasteful playing. He can go from a full on roar to a whisper with consumate ease. To be honest, his rock stuff was always my favourite but, I'm in a blues mood so see what you think of this...

Gary Moore - Walking By Myself (live) - http://youtu.be/Hx7HUNrzyFk

So there you have it. A short, but focussed episode. Look out during the week for a bit of a "hair metal" special edition inspired by my almost instant hatred of Triple J radio coupled by my recent conversion to iTunes Radio. If you like bands like Poison, Faster Pussycat, Extreme, Guns n Roses, LA Guns and Winger then tune in....

That's it. Goodnight all.

DJ Rob
"You've got to put your faith in a loud guitar..." - KISS, 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment