Friday, April 13, 2012

Song of the Week #190

Hooray! That’s Term 1 for 2012 done and dusted. Two weeks now until we carry on where we left off as educators.

What to do with those precious two weeks is the big question! Well, Zoë will be at camp and then three days of Road Ready training so that she can get her learners’ permit. OH MY GOODNESS! Alison has a real job so she’ll be busy. That leaves Angus and I to cause mayhem. Maybe we’ll head to some mountain biking trails with the helmet camera and see what we can do.

Earlier in the week I felt that I had a lot to say that wasn’t necessarily aimed at all my Song of the Week readers. If you’re interested in some of my more serious thoughts on illness and death then it’s all here: http://www.robwoozle.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/illness-death-and-tattoos.html

Can I just say that if I had to choose a muscle strain to give to my worst enemy then I reckon a glute would be right up there on the list. It hurts and takes ages to get better. And it’s a pain in the a**e (or a** for my American readers).

The weekend in Melbourne to watch Australian football was a blast. Seeing two games in a day certainly tired us out but not too much to strut around the Tan the next morning for a run and a coffee. Here’s a track for DJ’s COJ and AB.


We followed up that night by sitting up to watch Paris-Roubaix cycling. It was a pretty amazing performance by Tom Boonen to go out by himself with 55km to go. Personally I think he’s not been good for cycling with his party and drug taking antics, but, if he can keep his social life under control and ride like this it could be an exciting season.


For Brisbane based readers get along to Hannigan’s on Apr 15th at 1pm to see DJ Ducky singing. She’s got a great voice. If you like sultry jazz and blues then you won’t be disappointed.

And for Canberra readers, get to PJ O’Reilly’s in Tuggeranong on April 28th to see DJ AK and his band The Experience tear the place up with 60’s and 70’s classic rock.

I heard this next tune being played here at school this week. The guy who played it did a good job so I went back to the original for a listen. Great track.


I had to laugh during the week when I read that Lenny Kravitz is apparently a rock legend. Hello!!?? I don’t think so. He’s a star I suppose but legend is a real stretch. That isn’t to say that he hasn’t had a couple of good songs. This is his best in my opinion.


With the fact that there is basically nothing at all broadcast on the TV worth watching we’ve been searching for other stuff to watch. Yep, it’s true – I don’t blog, listen to music or train 24/7. At the moment we’re almost through the first season of the US TV drama, “Sons of Anarchy”. It’s a look inside a fistitious motorcycle club but some of it seems just a bit real. I know that the characters and language are cleaned up a bit for the tube but it’s still pretty disturbing. Not disturbing like the prison drama, Oz, but still it has the potential to give you some weird dreams. It has some well known cast members, notably Ron Perlman (Tom Waits’ uglier twin!) and Katy Sagal (Married With Children, Futurama). Worth watching? Sure.

Here’s a new track which I heard for the first time today. I noticed this band because their name is cool – see if DOES matter! Wow, this is just great!

The Rolling Stones are not a band that I am a huge fan of. For the most part I find their work sloppy and patchy with glimmers of brilliance. I picked up a CD that covers their Sticky Fingers album really not expecting to be anything but underwhelmed but I was wrong. Try this on for size…


There is one Rolling Stones song that I really like however. And the cover on the CD is great too. I’ll finish with them – both worth a few minutes of your time.



That’s all folks. No unsubscribe message this week – just let me know…if you dare!

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment