Friday, August 5, 2011

Song of the Week #154


Look, I’m sorry if I offended anyone last week with my comments about Tina Arena and the National Anthem. My opinion is that she needed to warble a lot less and sing it so that people could join in. It’s a stirring anthem and I reckon it should be sung that way.


This is for Tyler’s Mummy…. The Wiggles – Advance Australia Fair – wow, you even get the second verse!


Big news (well for me at least) is that Ironman is coming to Melbourne from 2012. Given that the two current IM races in Australia sold out in record time this is pretty cool. I think I’ll consider a 2013 entry. Next March is too close. There’s a lot to organize before one can enter and start the long training slog. But, not having to train through winter or magpie season is tempting. Watch this space.


Alison is back from Hong Kong and it sounded like a good trip. She brought me back a Mao Tse Tung clock – magic! And if you think the kids and I were pleased to see her return then the sooky dog and cat just take the cake.


Alabama3 - Mao Tse Tung Said


I’ve ordered the biography of this next singer from my favourite website bookdepository.co.uk (and no, they don’t sponsor me or anything like that). I like the band, I’ve seen them live and have quite a number of their albums. I imagine the book will be a warts and all affair!


Motorhead – 1916 (this might be a bit different to what you expect from Motorhead)


There’s a biography and a film out about this next singer. I don’t know too much about him but the reviews of both piqued my interest. This song has a cool groove and Ian’s accent makes me chuckle.


Ian Dury & The Blockheads – Sex & Drugs & Rock ‘n’ Roll


For all you users of Twitter out there I can heartily recommend following @Queen_UK. I know it’s a spoof my it is hilarious. My favourite recent comment from “her”…


“Lewis Hamilton, you concentrate on driving a car, your Queen will concentrate on driving a nation. The National Anthem is not changing.”


Brian May - God Save The Queen


Here’s a band I really struggle with. If I ever wanted to go to sleep out of sheer boredom then they’d be in the soundtrack. I reckon DJ Laff knew that and so searched out a track worth listening too. Finally. Maybe they got it right once. This tune is fantastic – I’ll drag the albums I have out this weekend and see if my mind is changed.


Radiohead - Just


Last night I watched an episode of “Big Bang Theory” – pretty amusing as per normal. But the boys’ antics reminded me of this tune from an excellent Brisbane band.


Custard – Girls Like That (Don’t Go For Guys Like Us)


I think I’ll finish this week with something really cheesy. Who remembers Sweet? Well not me, I didn’t hear about them until I was a bit older and really via this next cover of one of their tunes. This is Steve Stevens on guitar. He has a lot of hair and a hilarious white leather suit but, oh my, he can play! Fans of Michael Jackson may recognize him from the Dirty Diana video. Anyway, it’s a great tune if you’re a runner or gym junkie.


Steve Stevens’ Atomic Playboys - Action


That’s all folks.


DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment