Friday, May 13, 2011

Song of the Week #142


Oh wow, I’ve tracked down some truly magic tunes for you this week. I guess that will depend on your perspective but I like them and it’s my blog/email list so sit down and listen carefully!


Prince is a strange character. I’ve been a fan of His Royal Purpleness for a while but I’ll freely admit that a lot of his material leaves me cold. Purple Rain is a great film – surely it would make a good stage musical. And interestingly enough, Prince won’t let YouTube have any of his music on it as he believes they don’t do enough to keep objectionable material off the ‘net. More power to him. This track isn’t one of his but it demonstrates his versatility as well as his stellar musicianship. Wait till he cuts loose on the guitar towards the end…


Prince et. al. – While My Guitar Gently Weeps


Here's a quick tune that DJ Bloo sent through today. More electronic fun from Kraftwerk. Looks like a pretty good concert. For years I thought Kraftwerk and Devo were the same band!


Kraftwerk - Autobahn


I listened to quite a bit of David Bowie this week. Old stuff, new stuff, weird stuff, straight stuff. It's all good and the variety means you'll never get bored. This is a pretty popular song but I like it all the same - and at least one of my other favourite bands have stolen a song title from the lyrics...


David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust


Wow, that must have really upset some parents in the early 70s!


If you didn't read my review of the Chilled Out Giraffes gig then you can access it here on the blog below this entry. It was great! Last time I saw some of these guys they played at least one Declan MacManus tune. He writes a great tune, plays tasteful guitar and really needs to learn to shave - leave the stubble to George Michael! Declan has a cool TV show that is worth your time - he interviews and plays with some groovy folks. This isn’t from that song but I found this version of “Alison” and I couldn’t resist. I’ve been practicing this song myself but unless I have a vocal cord transplant the chorus will continue to evade me!


Elvis Costello & Billie Joe Armstrong - Alison


That Glastonbury weather makes me very glad I live here J


I've said a few times that the most successful bands and artists are those with their own particular sound or style. Mark Knopfler's guitar playing, Tom Petty's nasal twang and Joe Cocker's stage moves all come to mind. This next band have a classic sound that, to me at least, is instantly recognisable. They hadn't recorded an album in over 25 years and I didn't even know a new one was coming until MC TC let me know via facebook. I'm excited. It sounds a real treat on the few listens I've had via YouTube. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a CD or vinyl copy here in Canberra before too long. Ladies and Gentlemen, kick up your heels, dance and clap along to....THE CARS!!!


The Cars – Sad Song


Hoo Roo,


DJ Rob (to unsubscribe just send me an email that reveals where the spiders actually were and I’ll disconnect you)

No comments:

Post a Comment