Friday, January 28, 2011

Song of the Week #127

Hi there, this is going to be a short episode with the promise of an update tomorrow.

Why? Well because Alison and I are off to see Paul Kelly tonight and I’d like to report back while it is still fresh in my mind.

Paul who? Wash your mouth out. A national treasure.

Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls – Darling It Hurts

Paul Kelly – Leaps & Bounds

What else? How about something that is sure to get your toes tapping…

John Lee Hooker – Boom Boom

I reckon that being in John Lee Hooker’s band would be hair raising. He just does his own thing all the way through throwing changes and choruses in when he feels they fit. Fantastic.

Bob Dylan has recently released a box set of original mono recordings (1962-67). Relatively hot on the heels of The Beatles doing the same thing. Apparently they sound like they are meant to – whatever that means. Cheaper than The Beatles set and not a limited edition it doesn’t seem. I might try again to understand what all the fuss is all about. But I must admit that I like this next song…maybe a bit smoother than some other stuff he does.

Bob Dylan – She Belongs To Me

This next band is one I heard live on the radio the other night. I was surprised at the strength of the voice and also that I was hearing something worth listening to on the “National Youth Network”. Kooky film clip.

Sia – The Girl You Lost To Cocaine

Here’s a band that I played a lot when this album came out. But they didn’t last too long unfortunately. Another band that wrote great hooks and had lyrics with bite.

Skunk Anansie – Twisted (Everyday Hurts) – if you think that’s a bit soft then try this one…

Skunk Anansie – Yes It’s F******* Political – strong language warning but a hell of a song.

I read something this week written by a guy about my age (very young) detailing his difficulty with getting people to take him seriously because he was into heavy metal. Apparently you’re meant to grow out of it. Well, I can’t see it happening. I got into hard rock and heavy metal for a couple of reasons. But the main one was the intro riff to AC/DC’s Back In Black. Three open, loud chords set me on a path as a teenager. But I think if you limited yourself only to metal then life would be boring. Same goes for any musical genre. But metal doesn’t have to be about lyrics. I am a big Stryper fan but religion isn’t my bag. I think Slayer absolutely rock but blood, guts and gore aren’t my thing either. Music is so often like a feeling. How many opera fans understand a word being sung?

So here’s two tunes to finish off that are best listened to in the car at a cracking volume.

Queensryche – Best I Can

Chuck Berry – Rock & Roll Music

Tune in later on for the Paul Kelly gig review.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment