Friday, December 31, 2010

Song of the Week #123

Happy New Year folks. Thanks for taking the time to read some of my random ramblings throughout 2010.

I had a big episode planned but being on holiday got the better of me.

Here's a few tunes I wanted to play. There's no real rhyme or reason and I'm happy to admit that it is a fairly eclectic selection. But that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it!

First up we've got Fini Scad. An Australian band that didn't last a long time. I saw them support Midnight Oil at an excruciatingly hot and humid indoor show in Brisbane. This was their hit. Pretty cool indy rock.


Doug Fieger just died. Who? Well he's singing this next classic. RIP Doug.


Every now and then obscure songs trigger memories from my childhood. Mostly tunes I would've heard on AM radio in NZ or Australia. This next one reminds me of when I was about 11. An excellent voice and a cool tune.


And here's one of the coolest guitarists around with a classic. His version on the La Bamba soundtrack is magic. This is a live cut.


And I have no idea why I sought out this song. Maybe it's the great vocals, the fact that it is an awesome pop song, or perhaps I'm not sure that Barry Gibb isn't closely related to the Hoff.


Just quickly, here's something new. Surprisingly, this is out of East London, not the Deep South. Pretty neat really. Dan Michaelson and The Coastguards channel Tom Waits, Muddy Waters and maybe Alabama3.


Just before I sign off for 2010, here's a great fun tune. We played this a LOT in one band I was in. An Aussie classic now I guess (not because of us!)


STOP PRESS: Bobby Farrell from Boney M has died. Only 62 years old and he was still performing. This is essential listening:


I was going to make some grandiose statement about 2010 but I'm out of time. For me personally it was very much the year of Ironman. A selfish pursuit that I was fortunate enough to be able to indulge in with the support of family, friends and colleagues.

I said a final goodbye to a number of friends in 2010 and I'm hoping that 2011 won't be at all like that.

But I'll leave it to Johnny Cash to close out the year for me. Whether you believe in God or not this song has something to say.


See you all next year.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment