Friday, November 19, 2010

Song of the Week #117

Another Royal Wedding? Oh whoop de do. Who cares? Nice for the happy couple I guess. It really would be a step forward get the monarchy out of our country and our political system. We don't need them and they most certainly don't need us. Change the flag at the same time. Australia's flag makes us look like Great Britain at night (Ben Elton said that). Let's not deny our heritage here in Australia but recognise that we've moved on. At least they're not inbreeding this time.

I'm glad that the weather here in Canberra has finally warmed up. It is really, really groovy to get out of bed in the morning and not have to put on thirteen layers of clothes to go cycling! Speaking of cycling and all things Ironman, this is the last big weekend of training, and probably not before time! The race numbers were published during the week and I'm #577 - everyone will need that to track my progress online during the race - ha ha!

The race is in Busselton in Western Australia and the temperature there has been in the 30s recently. Hot, hot, hot! Being wonderfully fair skinned I've bought some arm coolers (the opposite of arm warmers) which provide UV protection. And having little or no hair I'll be needing to wear something under my helmet as well. The next big trick is going to be packing up the bike for air travel! Luckily I have some experienced friends to help me out.

I had the pleasure of seeing Zoƫ playing in a jazz band last week. Pretty fantastic. And she danced as well which was a surprise. She seems to have avoided inheriting my lack of natural dance talent...luckily! Here's a version of one of the tunes they did:

The Ventures - Secret Agent Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IJLfD9VIY

And, there was another band that attempted this song. They were only kids and I reckon they did a pretty good job of a tough tune...

Muse - Knights of Cydonia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI

I've been watching a bit of this next show on TV. It seems to be one of the few shows from my youth that stands up today. Still amusing to watch. And this is a KILLER theme tune. Great guitar work.

Theme from Magnum PI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdzRnS3VuY

And then this is just plain weird...I found a whole lot of TV themes that had been redone with pretty cool loud guitars. Here's a taster.

Sylvain Cloux - Theme from Knight Rider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDs3GItNPo8

This week I was talking to some people about humour in music. Of course this next artist came up, how could he not...

Weird Al Yankovic - Gump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDR3HqjrzXk

That video is awesome as well - a great rip off of the original as well as the Forrest Gump movie. Sam Kinison sprung to mind but I couldn't find anything appropriate for my wide audience...

I went to a funeral yesterday for a colleague. Funerals are never easy but I remain astounded at how well some people hold it together. Chris' 84 year old Father spoke at the service and was just amazing. This song was played before it all started. It has been a favourite of mine for years and I guess it will have special meaning from now on. Au Revoir Chris.

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKcpmnRsP0

But after all that we get to the song of the week. I'm not a huge fan of eletronica, house music, techno or whatever you want to call it. But this version of a New Order song was great. I was reminded of it the other day when someone described an event as bizarre. Interesting how the brain links words, thoughts and music.

Frente - Bizarre Love Triangle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ1c9ErCn7w

Mango...it makes a man go.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment