Saturday, October 9, 2010

Song of the Week #111

OK, OK, so this is a bit late. It's true. I am on holidays and I kind of forgot that it was Friday until quite late at night. Thanks to all that reminded me. Obviously a number of you are more than addicted to my ramblings. Or maybe you were just bored on a Friday evening.

Anyway, let's get into it.

I'd vaguely heard of Daniel Johnston in the past. A quirky guy releasing lo-fi cassettes of fairly out there tunes that had gained a kind of cult following. My interest was piqued. He has battled through his life with bi-polar disorder and gained notoriety by handing out cassettes to anyone that would take one. So, I found an album of his going for a song and bought it. Wow. The sound quality goes from woeful to OK. He often can't hold a tune and the instrumentation can be out of time and tune. But, after a couple of listens, what shines through is heartfelt songs that ache in a way that Emo kids only dream of. It is often difficult listening but quite rewarding. If you liked the Violent Femmes then you might like this. Might...

Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You In The End: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ucN4DActxA

Today I rode 160km with some friends as part of my Ironman training. We travelled along some country roads, and apart from the magpie attack it was a great ride. Even getting stopped by a mob of sheep crossing the road didn't faze up - it was a laugh. But the countryside reminded me a lot of where I grew up in Victoria. And those memories involve long bus rides to and from school every day. Probably about 40km each way. This was a song that we played on boomboxes and walkmen (walkmans?) on a regular basis. To my reckoning it is a quintessentially Australian song from one of our best bands. I've chosen the studio version of this song because it has everything. A quiet opening, great warm up and then some full throttle rock in the middle.

Cold Chisel - Bow River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFY9TY1Y-0k

And because I forgot to write this blog entry this song came to mind. It comes from a very successful Scots band that I really cannot get into - and I've tried over and over again. They have some great songs but something doesn't quite do it for me. Regardless, this is an awesome track.

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAOl2oXXho

Now, for those of you who don't know, the Commonwealth Games are on - just! DJ AB requested this next tune because really, nothing matters as long as we beat New Zealand!

Andrew Denton - As Long As We Beat New Zealand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3laDc1SeM

And that reminds me of this little ditty from another one of Denton's shows. For those not in the know, the guest artist had to do a version of Stairway to Heaven. This was possibly my favourite version from Australian Beatles tribute band, The Beatnix.

The Beatnix - Stairway to Heaven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfoccRna6I

DJ Fatboy sent me a link that was an article telling the world about the release of remastered John Lennon CD's. Seriously, how much more money can be sucked out of the Beatles and their members? Who knows though. Maybe it will be really good and all the profits will go to charity. Not that I am cynical or anything.

Finally, the World Cycling Championships that were held in Geelong have wrapped up. Again, the TV coverage was great and Geelong looked a treat. Cadel Evans proved himself a true champion. In the road race he never gave up even though he could have at a number of points. I've never seen him look like he is suffering so much, he really gave it his all and I hope the Australian media and public were suitably impressed.

I had a listen to an old Soundgarden CD this week. Mainly because I really like the title of the album - "Badmotorfinger". Chris Cornell has a great voice and Kim Thayil's guitars always sounded great to me. This song is from a later album but is one of their best.

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

That's it. I'm off to fall asleep on the lounge.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment