Friday, October 1, 2010

song of the week #110

NEWSFLASH: The links in this blog post have been removed. I have received an email telling me that I am infringing on someone's copyright although I have no idea which link it was. If you want the songs just put their titles into a search engine. Sorry. And there was me thinking I was giving away some free recommendations and publicity!!

Oh wow, how much better my outlook on life is after a week of school holidays! Everyone needs some sort of break and it must've been that time for me.

I haven't really done all that much in the last week apart from training, spend time with the kids (when they will let me), training, the odd household chore (I need to improve on those next week), training, reading, listening to music and watching the cycling. Oh yeah, and some more training!

Today Alison and I took Angus to see "Tomorrow, when the war began". Great film, great book. They are a bit different but we heard John Marsden (author) being interviewed on the radio and if he is happy then it seems all good. Zoe had already seen the movie so it isn't like we were excluding her! The movie could've been set anywhere but it is very obviously Australian. And set in country Australia, some of which reminded me of bits of my childhood. When they were getting ready to blow up the bridge all I could think of was the Moondarrah Dam and my Dad giving me driving lessons out there. I totally sucked at using the clutch!

We also headed out today to take a look at the Cotter Dam being made a helluva lot bigger. Wow. If you're here in Canberra then it is well worth a look.

Politically, Australia is sitting on a knife edge with a minority government. So much so that any time a vote is taken the members can't afford to be out of the chamber. That should make life interesting! My bet is that we'll be back at the polls before too long.

Tomorrow I'm heading out with the Tri Club for a bit of a long ride. Out the highway to Goulburn and back. I should be in the saddle for 6 hours. There's no getting past having to do a few rides this long before Ironman. I am looking forward to it. There's a good bunch of us going and the forecast isn't too bad. My only worry is how I am going to carry all this food that is piled up beside my bike!

I will admit that my training has been a lot easier this week because I've been able to fall asleep at a number of times throughout the day. I think that it would be pretty hard to do that at work. Zoe and Angus think it is pretty funny.

And, to coincide nicely with the holidays, the World Cycling Champs are on here in Australia - in Geelong to be exact. The TV coverage is fantastic and I have also been lucky enough to get some updates and pics from friends who are at the event. Contador....how about we all let the investigation take its course before screaming "guilty".

What? You want some tunes? Well OK then.

Here's one from Angus...since he's discovered iTunes this has been pumping out non-stop. Catchy I guess.

Taio Cruz - Dynamite:

And Zoe is a complete Glee addict. I guess it could be a lot worse.

Glee Cast - Total Eclipse Of The Heart:

I liked the original version of that I am happy to admit. I always thought it was a pretty gutsy vocal performance but I WAS young at the time!

But down to something a bit more meaty. Green Day have made a couple of appearances here. But I heard this song today for the first time in ages, and then I remembered how cool the clip was. See for yourself.

Green Day - Basket Case:

DJ Hopper was telling me about a Willie Nelson concert he'd been to see. It sounded pretty damned fine so here's a tune for him. If anyone can guess why I chose this particular tune then they've obviously been paying close attention to my ramblings for a while!

Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard - Pancho and Lefty:

And finally, after waiting a month for an eBay purchase to arrive, I have a legal copy of Serena Ryder's awesome album. Remember her? If you don't click this next one. In my opinion she has a great voice that suits her style of music perfectly. I hope she visits Australia again soon so I can try and make it to a gig.

Serena Ryder - All For Love:

And on the theme of love I'll play my last song. A couple of weeks ago I read an article about a guy called Roky Erickson. As a result I listened to his latest LP and was completely blown away. Roky fronted an American psychedelic rock band called the 13th Floor Elevators. The story goes that he'd done quite a lot of mind altering drugs in his time before being busted for possession. He was committed to a mental asylum and subjected to drug and electro-shock treatment over a period of a few years. And as a result, when he got out, his brain was fried. And it still is to a point. But he still writes and performs. I read that at one stage he would have a couple of TVs playing and a radio to try and drown out the noises in his head. That kind of noise appears at places in the album and I guess I get it after finding out about him. I really would recommend the whole album which is called "True Love Cast Out All Evil". In terms of style I would say it is bluesy, country rock. If you like Wilco or Neil Young it might do something for you. So here's a track.

Roky Erickson - Goodbye Sweet Dreams:

Finally, October 2nd is LIVESTRONG day. Support the fight against cancer. http://www.livestrong.org/

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment