Friday, September 3, 2010

Song of the Week #106

A warm welcome to this episode from the human pincushion!

I had acupuncture today. Only 5 needles but connected up to some sort of electrical device. It wasn't too bad but then I couldn't see what was going on as I was lying face down. Hopefully the acupuncture, massage and some gentle stretches can sort out my Achilles tendon.

I was mildly amused that the acupuncturist was in the rooms next to the tattoo parlour. I'll need to book myself in there for an appointment post Ironman!

Needles, tattoos....a song...by one of the greatest rock and roll groups ever.

Rose Tattoo - Scarred For Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYdK3eVSuTI

I met Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo singer) at the Melbourne Zoo when I was still at High School. Yes, he is really short and he was super nice to us as well.

Hey, what is it with people who have "Kind Regards" at the end of their emails? It really sounds like such a blah statement to me. It says nothing and as part of a signature block I always think, how patronising!

Let me put my amateur political analyst hat on now. Skip to the next paragraph if you want more music. If Australia's electoral system is such that power has been handed to a small group of independent MPs then maybe we need to look at it. Is it time for a different electoral system? Certainly, 4 or 5 people determining who can form government doesn't seem particularly representative. Maybe I should stop moaning and run for office. Nah, I'm too honest!

Alice Cooper - Elected: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RlYtee0qg

And now for some classic, classic rock. This song has everything. Great beat, tough snare sound, groovy guitar riff and smoky vocals. And when the chorus kicks in it is a real toe tapper. AND it featured on the soundtrack for a super movie.

Huey Lewis and The News - The Power of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK2YQPKMf4

But I listened to a wider range of music this week than the playlist so far might make you think. I scored a sweet compilation CD programmed by Tom Waits. And I'm just going to play the first two tracks because they really seem like essential listening to me.

First up we have Tennessee Ernie Williams. I'd never heard this in my life but the groove, the lyrics and that voice are just so good that I have to share. This song would make it onto a desert island disc if I had to make one. Imagine Nick Cave singing this one...sublime!

Tennessee Ernie Williams - Sixteen Tons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpTJg2EBpw

Things got even better when the next tune came around on the CD. Son House has an amazing voice. Listen carefully throughout the track as he conveys an amazing depth of emotion. I really like the way he gets in and out of time when the only accompaniment is him clapping! Reminds me a bit of listening to John Lee Hooker who obviously never plays a stright 12 bar - he just plays what feels right.

Son House - John the Revelator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBoP70A7Q0

But here's the song I want everyone to listen to. A bit unexpected as well. I had no idea that the Green Day album (rock opera perhaps) American Idiot had been turned into a Broadway Show. It looks pretty cool from the YouTube footage that I've seen so far. This song is from the subsequent album but I guess it is in the show anyway. I like it.

Green Day - 21 Guns (Broadway Cast Version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RKr4pWOqs

There's almost a Wayne's World headbanging moment in that clip! But seriously, I like what they've done with it. Almost the Glee treatment but with people who can sing!

Have a great weekend.

Kind Regards ;-)
DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment